MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

delete

Another AOH here...started at 33. I was lucky enough to have some outdoor training between the scouts and the Army as a basis before I started chasing critters. A few suggestions from me: Learn map reading/compass skills and terrain association (GPS is great until the batteries or unit dies), learn some basic outdoor /survival skills before you head off into the woods and ALWAYS carry a survival kit, once you have selected your species and settled on an area get out and learn it early and often BEFORE you are thinking about chasing an animal. Best of luck and enjoy the woods.

If I were in your shoes I would worry about the following:

1. figure out the access game, make sure you know how to legally access land you can hunt. It isn't super tough where you will be, but the better you learn these skills the more you will find the hidden gems, and start finding your own honey holes.
2. Get out and start hiking areas you think you might hunt this fall as soon as you get there. Hike all summer, and keep you eyes open. Always have your binos with you and glass all of the interesting looking stuff you see. You will start to see game and their patterns the more time you spend out in the woods with them.
3. If you are going to spend money; spend it on boots, binos, and a pack first. Guns and shooting is sexy, and an important skill, but you are going to do way more walking and glassing, than shooting.
4. Join BHA and your local conservation group (sounds like Ben Lamb pointed you that direction already), be active in the group, and get to know people, they will be a huge amount of help once you start to build some camaraderie.
5. If you are going to buy another rifle, make it a .22lr and/or a shotgun, the 22 is great for practice and both open up a wealth of small game opportunities.
6. Consider buying these books. The link is to volume 1, but there is a volume 2 for small game and birds. https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-Hunting-Butchering-Cooking/dp/081299406X

I am sure some disagree, so you mileage may vary.

Sounds like you are heading in the right direction! One other note I meant to add before. If you can't find a deer or elk tag available, black bear is OTC, and is a fun hunt up in the same country you will likely be hunting deer and elk next year.

Have fun.

Also you can probably find reduced recoil loads for your .300 to practice and hunt deer with. IMO, your .300 is about as perfect an elk rifle as you can find IF you can manage it. The reduced recoil loads will nearly mirror .308 performance in your .300 Win Mag.

Sounds like you are heading in the right direction! One other note I meant to add before. If you can't find a deer or elk tag available, black bear is OTC, and is a fun hunt up in the same country you will likely be hunting deer and elk next year.

Have fun.

Not sure I would want my first hunt to involve shooting at something that can bite back. In my view, start with birds, small game or deer.

That's a great idea. I just looked up reduced recoil loads for it and Hornady popped right up with velocity and energy info. https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/300-win-mag-150-gr-sst-custom-lite#!/

You think that is still too much for a deer?

It's not about too much or too little for the deer, it is about concern of it being too much for the hunter, particularly an inexperienced one. For an experienced hunter standard 300wm rounds are fine (even if over kill) - the advantage suggested is about lowering felt recoil of the shooter. For example, if you were starting without a gun, you would have been well served starting with a .243Win, 25-06Rem, 6.5 creedmoor (known as 6.5 man-bun on this forum) or 7mm08Rem (know as 7mmHT on this forum as it has a very loyal fanbase here) or a number of other low-ish recoil rounds that are perfect for deer and antelope (and from 25-06 up, are also good for black bear and elk).

Also you can probably find reduced recoil loads for your .300 to practice and hunt deer with. IMO, your .300 is about as perfect an elk rifle as you can find IF you can manage it. The reduced recoil loads will nearly mirror .308 performance in your .300 Win Mag.

Yep. Don't listen to the "you need a 7-08 or .308" crowd. You have a great rifle for killing anything in Montana. Unless you can't accurately handle it, then consider another cartridge. mtmuley

Not sure I would want my first hunt to involve shooting at something that can bite back. In my view, start with birds, small game or deer.

Black bears aren't that scary. It's a fun hunt here in Montana. Go for it. mtmuley

Welcome, there is some good advice in this thread. Is never to late to start, just remember it’s meant to be fun. There are a lot of other things in life to be hardcore on. Lots of critters have died and hunters have smiled in grip in grins wearing blue jeans and an old rifle.

I got caught up in the latest and greatest and your .300 will make them just as dead with a lot more money left in your pocket.

Definitely not grizzlies, but they kill 1 or 2 folks a year, so I stand by my earlier comment - not ideal prey for first hunt.

The OP is going to be living in Kalispel, he is going to have to be “bear aware” every time he is out in the hills, even when he is hunting squirrels. The bear that is going to get you is not the one you are hunting, it is going to be that brown furry tractor one....

Any particular advise you have for staying bear aware? I'd like to pass this info along to my wife as well.

Start here:

http://fwp.mt.gov/recreation/safety/wildlife/bears/

I am by no means an expert, but being aware of your surroundings, giving bears a wide berth, keep a clean camp, and always have some bear spray on your person (and know how to use it). If you can be smart and get comfortable hunting with the idea of sharing the mountainside with them, you will be just fine.

Good info here. OP has taken the right path to learn and is getting the advice he needs. I particularly like the advice on reduced loads for deer. I have never had a problem with recoil in the field, ( the adrenaline carries you). Shooting targets with my 338 beats me to hell.

I too would be cautious with bear as my first game animal. But, it is doable.

Last edited:
Another Kalispell resident here. I think all the advice so far is great. I’m always overwhelmed by the options with all the local public land. PM me if you have any specific questions from local hiking trails to the best breweries ;)

Hey guys,

I posted this on another forum and was advised to check out this forum from one of the members. Thanks, Dale!

This is a pretty embarrassing thing to post but if I ever want to learn, I have to do it. I'm a citified guy. I’ve lived in Miami, NYC, and LA for the last 18 years. I'm 36 and have never hunted.
My wife and I are moving to Kalispell, MT in a few weeks and we've never even been there before! We just know we don't want the city life and decided to pack everything up and get out. We did the same thing here in Prescott, AZ. We left LA and moved here without visiting before. We got a taste for being away from the city and now we want to go even further.

I took the hunter ed course in CA and got a license there as well as AZ but never did anything with it. I just didn’t know where to begin. It’s a bit overwhelming to go at it alone. When I tried to discuss hunting in LA I’d end up offending people. I knew I had to get out of there.

I love the outdoors and I own several firearms, including a Weatherby Backcountry in 300 win mag. I've only used it at the range but I bought that rifle because I want to hunt. I’ve been told that’s too much gun for most hunting and I’m definitely open to suggestions on a better option. I also purchased a bow about a year ago. I went to the local shop and shot a few of them. I’m a fairly large guy (6’6” 275) so they suggested the PSE Evolve 35 with a 70lb draw. I don’t really know much about bows but I know that I enjoy shooting it! I’ve been practicing on a block in the backyard.

My question for you all is... How can I get started? I want to learn from seasoned hunters and get out there but it's tough to find people. I feel embarrassed and don't want to annoy people by asking. I also work from home doing voiceovers so I can’t just ask the guys at work because there are none! Haha

I'd appreciate any suggestions/advice.

Thanks,
-Matthew

I know I am a little late to the game, but first, thanks for introducing yourself the right way instead of just coming into the forum asking for advice on a hunting area . It's amazing how much better the forum will respond to you. I hunted as a kid but we didn't have much success and started to learn from my father-in-law in my mid 20s. As I have started to have success over the last severalyears its amazing the number of people that want to "tag along". You will find many people are relunctant to provide great info on hunting areas (it has taken them years to develop this info and they dont want an area ruined). One recommendation I have given numerous people is to do your own scouting and then ask an experienced hunter to go along. I have offered to help many new hunters if they will put in the time and come up with an area. In turn very few have put in the time and effort to take me up on the offer, but those that have put in the time have become life long friends. Moral to the story, as you meet successful hunters taken them serious and it will greatly payoff.

I have also noticed that wife doesn't seem to care that I am gone additional time if I am out helping a beginner. I wonder if others experience the same thing.

Being able to have an experienced hunter in the field will greatly help, especially when it comes to spotting game. Spotting game will be one of your biggest hurdles. Too many people get intimidated by field dressing and butchering, but these skill is quickly learned while spotting game is often overlooked and the largest skill you will use. I remember when I first started hunting with my father-in-law and I swore he was magically making the animals appear because I wasnt seeing anything. Fast forward to now and I hear similar statements from new hunters when I am with them in the field. It takes time and can be humbling, especially when a young kid is also seeing animals and kicking your butt.

I will stay out of the caliber conversation because I think it is a subject that you need to decide on the range. As you mentioned earlier, deer hunting is a great introduction to the sport. There is a reason that the vast majority of us cut our teeth on deer.

There are a variety of podcasts that are instructive as well but yes, as mentioned above, going out with someone is a great help.

There are some amazing podcasts that I highly recommend and then some that are HORRIBLE. A good start is Cody Rich's podcast The Rich Outdoors. There are some real nuggets if you listen for a while.

You will research and find out so many ideas, tips, and tactics it can seem overwhelming and nerve-racking. I think the hardest thing for new hunters as an adult that I have noticed is just finally making it out to hunt.

Ryan brings up a good point. It's super easy to get confused with different, and sometimes contradicting strategies. Find a strategy/philosophy and stick to it. One thing that I have found so interesting while listening to podcasts is that people from all walks of life have different strategies and are able to find success if you put in the time.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to comment, guys. I really appreciate you all helping a newbie out.

Cheers,
-Matthew

If you stay engaged and constructive, this Forum (and Randy's other content channels) will bless you with a lifetime of hunting knowledge and support. Best of luck, and if you want to start upland hunting, drop me a pm - I am a much more useful resource on that topic.

I am a newbie like you, all i can say is your on the right track here. Just stop wasting time and go make some mistakes, that's what i have done. It has been amazing, good luck!

I’d do this long before buying a new rifle.

You’ll probably want that full power in a few years, whether you actually need it or not.

I’d probably start out with Steve Rinella’s book on big game hunting. It’s basic, but takes you through it all start to finish. Everything from gear to hunt strategies to butcheing and cooking.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back