Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Howdy, Welcome!
    I grew up bow hunting in tree stands in the northeast. When I moved to Wyoming I felt like I was starting from square one. It's been an amazing journey to say the least.
    Enjoy your Journey!!!!

2. Default

Hey guys,

I made it to MT and have settled in nicely. Some of the most beautiful country I've had the pleasure of experiencing. I've been here for about 5 months now and couldn't be happier. The Game Warden suggested that I get an non-resident doe tag to get started since I haven't been here the 6 months to be a resident. I ended up getting my first deer on my property. I was pretty nervous because I didn't want to screw up the shot and injure the animal. That was my biggest concern. Shot placement was good and she dropped immediately. I had immediate relief. My incredibly kind neighbor helped me out with the field dressing/skinning. I hooked him up with a Cabelas gift card because I know he left work to help me out. I butchered the deer on my own after watching some videos and learned a lot during that process.

I'd be lying if I said that I didn't feel a bit of sadness looking at the beautiful animal that I had just killed. However, I told my brother (who's a hunter) and he said that's a good thing. He said he feels that way and then thanks the animal and then continues with the field dressing.

Now, I'm looking forward to making some bacon wrapped tenderloins. I found a recipe online and I'm pretty pumped to try it out.

I've already started thinking about next season. Is that normal? Lol

Thanks again for all of the input on here, I'm grateful you took the time to reply.

Cheers.

Sounds like you're on the right track! Best of luck continuing on your newly found passion.

It is very normal to start thinking about next season right now. In fact I never stop planning as the next hunt is always just a month or so away. Some of the larger species and more difficult areas will take a considerable amount of planning. But the easy ones can be just as rewarding.
    Good job on getting it done on your first hunt!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123