Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

delete

As you can tell from the variety of responses, everyone has their own recipe for success when it comes to hunting. The beauty of it is you can make your hunt whatever you want it to be. Find a weapon and method that you're confident with for the animal you're after and have fun. Try not to get hung up on all the messy details and do what fits you best. The 300 win is a great round... if you shoot it well enough to put the bullet where it needs to go. Practice with it and get proficient and be honest with yourself in your abilities. If you can't shoot it without flinching then downsize a little bit: 30-06, 308, 270, 280, 7mm08, and 6.5 Creedmoor are all great rounds with significantly less recoil than the 300 and will kill anything from deer and antelope to elk with good shot placement and tough bullets. Above all, enjoy your time in the woods and welcome to the club.

Focus on learning how to shoot (Whatever weapon) proficciently.

To me this is VERY important. Possibly the most important.

The rest can be learned by trial and error.

Executing the shot is critical.

I tell everyone that I hunt with that they can be the best hunter in the world. But if they cant execute the shot, then its all for nothing.

Howdy, Welcome!
I grew up bow hunting in tree stands in the northeast. When I moved to Wyoming I felt like I was starting from square one. It's been an amazing journey to say the least.
Enjoy your Journey!!!!

It is very normal to start thinking about next season right now. In fact I never stop planning as the next hunt is always just a month or so away. Some of the larger species and more difficult areas will take a considerable amount of planning. But the easy ones can be just as rewarding.
Good job on getting it done on your first hunt!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back