Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Arrow wight?

TrentHunter

Hi I have an arrow question. I am debating getting the black eagle rampages or getting the FMJ for my arrows the difference would be 450 final arrow wight for black eagles or I would have 550 for the FMJ, which one should I go with? I shoot 65 pounds with a 27 inch draw and I am still growing so I don’t know which one to go with. What’s your advice?

What are you hunting? 400 grains finished is kind of the minimum standard for many folks for elk. I shoot FMJs myself, great arrow.

Personally I think either one is fine as long as you have a good sharp broadhead leading the way. I have stayed away from the FMJ’s since they can bend but I know a lot of people love them

When dealing with arrows momentum is your friend. (Mass vs Velocity) You're not dealing with hydro static shock, but simply hemorrhage. Given equal sharpness of the broad head, & a bow at X poundage the arrow with more momentum will penetrate deeper than the arrow with the relative faster speed of a lighter arrow.

Either way, you still have put it where it belongs.

450 is plenty but never hurts to have more weight (except for your draw weight and length might give be low for that amount of weight). My arrows are around 456 each. Just make sure you can't hit what your aiming at.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of the FMJ's. 550 is pretty heavy for your draw weight and length though. Probably beyond the peak speed/energy cross. The HIT insert used in the FMJ is customize-able, so you can fine tune you total weight. I reduce the insert from 75 grains to 50, and use a 100 grain point. My arrows finish at 515. I'm 29" & 74lbs and 515 is where I get the absolute best kinetic energy numbers.

A thinner arrow shaft will also be less susceptible to wind drift and will penetrate better. I haven’t had an FMJ bend yet. I’m sure it happens

Lots of good advise, either will suit you fine as long as you are able to put it where it needs to be, but I would vote for the heavier arrow...I shoot FMJ's and love them

Might want to look at an Easton Axis Traditional shaft. I weighs slightly less than a FMJ and is graphite rather than aluminum/graphite which will bend. FMJ will generate more momentum for penetration and is slightly straighter .001 vs .003

It's been recommended that for efficient and effective results the arrow should be in the 9 to 12 grains per pound range. Additionally, an FOC around 15% and up should be employed. These factors help ensure max momentum at point of contact and use cut on contact heads.
Have fun and luck brother.

For what it's worth, I have killed 3 elk with 485 grain FMJ's coming from a 60lb bow. One was a bull with an absolutely huge body. I am switching to a 125 grain 2 blade broadhead this year, so I will be at 510 grains. I think you will be fine with either setup, just choose the one that flies the best and you are most confident shooting.

I'm a big fan of the FMJ's. 550 is pretty heavy for your draw weight and length though. Probably beyond the peak speed/energy cross. The HIT insert used in the FMJ is customize-able, so you can fine tune you total weight. I reduce the insert from 75 grains to 50, and use a 100 grain point. My arrows finish at 515. I'm 29" & 74lbs and 515 is where I get the absolute best kinetic energy numbers.

Do you have a chart to reference for the "peak speed/energy cross"? Just wondering where i should be? I'm looking to pick up some FMJs.

With the fmjs I would run the broadhead adapter ring or a golt tip shok collar on the end. I had a dozen the the end mushroomed just from ahooting my bag target. Other than that I loved the fmj. I shot .300 spine with 75grain insert with 125s and they shot great. Total weight was 550ish at 275fps

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back