Wyoming Elk unit 47- copper mountain

shooter25

With no luck in any draws yet this year, I see there are some tags left for this unit and was looking for some opinions on an Elk hunt there. Never been near there and not finding a lot online about it. Just looking for your opinions. Thanks!!

I believe the reason there are leftovers is the amount of private land and the elk preferring to stay on private.

Slim pickins for leftover bull tags. Better to look at cow tags if you are wanting to chase elk at this point in WY.

I am no WY elk expert but when I look at the leftovers on that list the unit 7 cow tags are probably one of the better tags I see. Lots of access for cow hunters.

Other options to consider would be an antelope, whitetail, or doe tags especially if this is your first hunting adventure in the state.

Slim pickins for leftover bull tags. Better to look at cow tags if you are wanting to chase elk at this point in WY.

I am no WY elk expert but when I look at the leftovers on that list the unit 7 cow tags are probably one of the better tags I see. Lots of access for cow hunters.

Other options to consider would be an antelope, whitetail, or doe tags especially if this is your first hunting adventure in the state.

+1 Right on.

My brother and I looked at area 47 back in January when considering where to apply. After doing some homework, we found that access is a big pain there.

What’s anyone’s thoughts on the 67-69 archery elk tags? I know it’s grizz country

I live less than 20 miles from area 47 and have hunted area 47 for the last 8 years and yes it difficult to get access during the October part of the season. There is access during the cow/calf season in November but it still can be a challenging hunt. The elk in this area bunch up into large groups and so you either see 100+, small groups of bulls or nothing most the time. The private land I hunt is the same way in October. I have only killed 3 bulls in the years I have hunted the area but have always found a cow, and all of them have been in November.

Hey guys, looking for some help here. New to the forum, not new to hunting, but this will be my first year elk hunting. My hunting partner and I are from WI, and we drew Type 1 tags for unit 47 - we were super pumped when we found out. But after doing some research, it sounds like there isn't much for accessible public land - is that correct?? It's confusing, because on goHunt, it says the unit is mostly public land. Even when looking at the maps on goHunt, it looks like there is a lot of BLM land (and unless I'm looking at this wrong, it appears with roads/trails nearby, so I'm concerned that I'm missing something with regards to access). Isn't BLM land open to the public?

I've also been looking on the state GIS website (http://gis.statelands.wyo.gov/GIS/OSLIGIS/StateLandAccess/) where there are color coding that show STATE lands that have public access (as well as state lands that are landlocked). Using that map, there appears to be very little STATE land that is accessible. However, when adding the BLM layer, it would seem to open up a lot of areas.

So, I guess my question is, is the BLM land in WY not open to the public??

Hey guys, looking for some help here. New to the forum, not new to hunting, but this will be my first year elk hunting. My hunting partner and I are from WI, and we drew Type 1 tags for unit 47 - we were super pumped when we found out. But after doing some research, it sounds like there isn't much for accessible public land - is that correct?? It's confusing, because on goHunt, it says the unit is mostly public land. Even when looking at the maps on goHunt, it looks like there is a lot of BLM land (and unless I'm looking at this wrong, it appears with roads/trails nearby, so I'm concerned that I'm missing something with regards to access). Isn't BLM land open to the public?

I've also been looking on the state GIS website (http://gis.statelands.wyo.gov/GIS/OSLIGIS/StateLandAccess/) where there are color coding that show STATE lands that have public access (as well as state lands that are landlocked). Using that map, there appears to be very little STATE land that is accessible. However, when adding the BLM layer, it would seem to open up a lot of areas.

So, I guess my question is, is the BLM land in WY not open to the public??
When you applied there was a * next to tag description. That means access can be limited, doesnt mean you can't find land but productive land could be problem. Good luck and welcome to HT!

I guess you should have done the research before you put in?

BLM is open to hunt.
Well, we thought we did lol. We saw 63% public land and ASSUMED access wasn't a problem, because here in WI public land is usually way too easy to access. There's just not much of it.

Thanks for confirming on BLM! (y)

I’ve hunted the unit, but not for elk. While we were there, we ran into a few frustrated elk hunters who hadn’t seen a single elk in a week of hunting. While I did see elk there, I didn’t see any on accessible land. The public land had very little elk sign on it, and what was there was old. There’s more public land in the unit than you could hunt in a week. I suspect it’s mostly devoid of elk. I think you’ll have to do a lot of glassing and then, if you find a herd, pray you can get permission to go after them. The ranchers I talked to, though friendly, we’re not open to letting us on their land.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back