Caribou Gear

How much is too much.

EYJONAS!

As I'm setting here next to my gear rack, I'm looking at it and its plum full top to bottom and even overflowing a bit because my wife has recently gotten into the sport. Yet, I always have something on my mind that I just gotta have. Whether its, tents, guns, backpacking gear you name it. I could go on about the list I currently own and want to "upgrade" also the list of the needs and wants. Then I think man what would the old mountain men, trappers, and cowboys think of us today with all the high end gear there is. I can only imagine, but i bet the word starts with a f. or a p.

Just curious to see anyone's thoughts. Cheers boys and girls, and good luck this season!

well, do you ever use any of it? that ultimately will tell you what is useful, and what isnt needed you will find out as you begin making trips that some things are merely window dressing. after 9 trips elk hunting i am down to bare essentials, nothing fancy.

The type of gear I use is highly dependent of the type of hunting I am doing at the time. I am currently using some gear I havent used in a decade. The stuff I used the last ten years thought I would be using forever I havent used for two years. Regardless some things are with me on all hunts like my rifles,sling,binos , bino harness ,knives and coolers. I have too many packs I could get by with two , a fanny and a day pack. I guess my point is you never know what or when you might need something.

I am a self confessed gear junky and have amassed a lot of stuff over the years. I have gotten much better at getting rid of things I have upgraded or no longer use/need. This year has been an ebay year selling off under armor and some cabelas clothing. I sold a spotting scope, a few scopes and some other stuff. I think i have my packs and boots dialed in and a spotter I'm happy with so I have that going for me. haha.
I say if you have the means, and a spouse who is supportive, then whats the harm? I too have a revolving list of stuff that i want and will probably get, though in reality, i could hunt out my remaining seasons with what i have now and be quite comfortable.

Last edited:
I use everything i got, some more then others but it all has a purpose. Just seems like the frequent flyer list always its being updated. I'm sure I'm like most on here my second biggest addiction in life behind hunting and fishing is gear. It's something I'm not planning on fixing either :cool:

How much is too much? About 1/2 of what you have. I'll PM you my address so you can declutter and simplify your life. You can thank me later. :)

Most hunters don't really need much of the stuff they acquire. From fancy hunting clothing that all matches down to the back pack, bino case, base layers, and panties to Optics that are rarely used, etc... Hunters are worse than fisherman about getting hooked by manufacturers and willing to spend money to gain any advantage it seems.

It's more about manufacturers, sponsors, etc wanting to sell hunters the latest and greatest item every year. Hunters are not a whole lot different than teenage girls as many will buy whatever brands the people they look up to wear. If a jenner/kardashian/grande/etc wears a certain brand of clothes the girls all go buy that brand. Same with boots, guns, optics, etc... for hunters. In the end it's hard to get unbiased info from hunters due to the influence from manufacturers in the industry and the fact that most hunters will recommend buying whatever brand they have purchased. If you follow these hunting fads you can get sometimes get good deals as guys replace gear like bows or switch brands of clothing.

On optics for example look to birders for the most comprehensive comparisons and unbiased opinions as they could care less about brand when they compare optics.

In the end I find myself wearing more of the clothes I wear everyday for hunting instead of the dedicated hunting clothes I have purchased over the years. I truly believe that wrangler blue tricks animals into letting their guard down, LOL. For day hunting deer and antelope I just don't feel like I need a thousand dollars in clothes on to be successful.

I've met a few locals who occasionally get tables at gun shows to get rid of or trade excess hunting gear they end up with. Helps keep their wives happy I think.

I would like to get more stuff. My limitation is how much I am willing to pack. Ounces add up. I am currently debating getting a rangefinder, but, that is another piece of equipment to haul around.

I try to maintain a policy that if it doesn't get used at least one every other year I get rid of it. The real problem is the diversity of hobbies all requiring a somewhat unique set of equip.

I finally broke down and started investing in quality over quantity. My equipment purchases now are based around enhancing my experience outdoors. I finally bought a nice backpack and boots, even though I had multiple of each, and my feet and back thanked me after a week of hunting. Gave away my cheaper equipment.

I have everything I actually need. I accumulated things I needed over years of hunts and noted things I actually needed.
I have no need to "upgrade" just for the sake of upgrading because a new product is on the market. If it's not broken and still does it's intended job there is no need for a new one.
I for one don't have so much that I have a closet clean-out every couple of years and get rid of unneeded hunting gear or clothing.

I'd like to say that I don't upgrade just to upgrade, but then why is it that I have more shotguns than I can count? Each one an upgrade in some way over the last. And while I'm thinking about it, my rifles are pretty much the same. Maybe I should think about it, just enjoy it ;)

I think gear overload is more of a proportion problem. I have an excess of backpacks and hunting knives, but I am lacking in the shotgun department. So, BrentD, if you need a backpack and some knives, let me know. I’ll even through in some slightly leaking duck decoys Ive been meaning to fix.

Just wait till you add fast growing kids to the hunting outfitting needs. Too much is never enough....

Back