Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Camping in unit 43

Gone fishing-that’s awesome. We are already putting the cart before the horse and talking about going to Colorado for an elk hunt the following year. Assuming this trip is as fun as I’m thinking it’s going to be!

Did you have any luck in 2015 in Unit 43? Everybody keeps talking about the fishing. I am assuming we should bring a rod as well. or buy a cheap one once we fly into Denver?

I did! I killed a good one on day 4. I was the last of our group to shoot but mine was the biggest. Had a lot of non-typical looking points.
1518555799206.jpg

Booner- that's a trophy for sure...Taylor 13 wanted to know what type of climbing stand you used out there in unit 43? lol

Last edited:
Booner- that's a trophy for sure...Taylor 13 wanted to know what type of climbing stand you used out there in unit 43? lol

Bahahaha. It's different out there for sure, not a loblolly pine in sight...or even a bush for that matter. I originally from NC myself...I moved out to Iowa and haven't looked back.

Nice buck Taylor!!
We had good conditions for horn growth this spring so you all need to be a little picky, don't shoot that first 12 incher you see.

Is Wyoming Unit 43 a good place for first time antelope hunters to start? I sure hope so, because that's where were going! Any recommendations on must have gear? Flying commercial from the east coast, so we will have to limit our equipment

Have patience with road hunters and people taking unreal running/long distance shots. The last time I was there I saw some pretty crummy "ethics" on display

Have patience with road hunters and people taking unreal running/long distance shots. The last time I was there I saw some pretty crummy "ethics" on display
And you didn't even say Hi to me... ;) :D

In my limited experience with hunting pronghorns in a couple of places, this doesn't appear to be limited to this unit. I've observed more crap decision making with pronghorn than any other species I've hunted much.

And you didn't even say Hi to me... ;) :D

In my limited experience with hunting pronghorns in a couple of places, this doesn't appear to be limited to this unit. I've observed more crap decision making with pronghorn than any other species I've hunted much.

I'm still disappointed in myself for that lack of friendliness

My 17 y.o. daughter has a 43 tag. We won't be there until the first week of October after we hunt deer over in 79, but it's her first western hunt, so I doubt she'll be holding out for the biggest buck.

I'm still disappointed in myself for that lack of friendliness
No worries. Stranger danger! ;) That was the trip I locked my keys and cellphone in the truck a long way from the pavement.

Just hope I wasn't the one who triggered the comments on ethics... :D

Sounds like it's gonna be a hunttalk party lol. Me and some buddies drew the same tag but several of them didn't draw. Does anybody know if there are prairie dogs or coyotes to hunt around there? I figure there are but figured I'd check. Feel free to pm if you want to.

My 17 y.o. daughter has a 43 tag. We won't be there until the first week of October after we hunt deer over in 79, but it's her first western hunt, so I doubt she'll be holding out for the biggest buck.

pm sent

Sounds like it's gonna be a hunttalk party lol. Me and some buddies drew the same tag but several of them didn't draw. Does anybody know if there are prairie dogs or coyotes to hunt around there? I figure there are but figured I'd check. Feel free to pm if you want to.
If hunting an HMA or WIHA be sure to read the rules!! The permission slips for pronghorn do not extend to other species...

Hoping folks don't regret putting the unit number in the posts, especially the title, down the road...

43 is the furthest thing from a trophy unit that i've hunted in Wyoming. The picture posted does do a good job of showing the available cover in that area. That is NOT a normal buck for 43 and you need to be ready to shoot 400 yards and deal with wind b/c there's not much out there to slow it down.

People will read this thread, go hunt there, then realize there are areas that have better terrain, more cover, more huntable areas, bigger bucks and less hunting pressure.

I don't hunt 43, but I do hunt nearby. I definitely vote camping up in the mountains. It gets you out of the wind, into great scenery, and you have a good chance of seeing some moose and hearing some elk bugle at night.

you need to be ready to shoot 400 yards

Unless you have been practicing shots at 400 yards in the wind and in multiple shooting positions, please, resist any temptation to take a 400 yard shot. If there is no way to approach an antelope, find another antelope. There are plenty. If there is little cover, get on your hands and knees and crawl. That's how antelope hunting goes sometimes.

there are areas that have better terrain, more cover, more huntable areas, bigger bucks and less hunting pressure.

Of course there are, but those units are a lot more difficult to draw. For a person with few or no points who's looking into getting into Western hunting, this unit (and many others) provides plenty of opportunity (along with some challenges) to get a person started and have a lot of fun.

I don’t recall ever shooting an antelope past 300 yards.

Maybe I’m naive as I’m kind of new to the forum, but isn’t that kind of part of it? Asking for general info about certain areas after looking into them and doing research? No one that I’ve seen has asked for or given away any specifics about hunting areas. To me if someone see’s the general info of this thread and decodes that they want to give it a shot, good for them. The only reason we applied for it was because of the 2 HMA’s and were a little intimidated by the broken up public lands, which I think is probably a common thing with first timers out west. And it’s been good to hear the pros and cons of the unit we picked, I really appreciate everyone’s Info

Back