Camping in unit 43

Taylor13

Does anyone have any experience camping in unit 43? The WIHA and HMA pages ARE down for a couple weeks. Are you allowed to camp on those areas? Looking for some ideas about where to camp or if it would be better to get a motel in that unit. If anyone has any advice they’d be willing to part with id appreciate it very much.

Thanks,

Taylor

You will be limited to any BLM that is accessible from a public road. I don't remember the HMA or walkin having any camping spots , but perhaps when they come out one will be noted .
You might contact one of the landowners and ask if they allow camping anywhere.
Depending on which part you hunt you might camp on the NF near Arlington.
Looking at the map, Highway 13 may have some camping spots along it where the public access areas are, they will be out in July also.
State lands do not allow camping or campfires.

You could camp in the Wick/Beumee WHMA, depending on where in 43 you plan on hunting.

Yep forgot about the Wicke/Beume, it has designated camping spots and is at the same Arlington exit or Wagonhound exit.
NF roads 127 and 11 are a little closer to the interstate for camping once you get off of the Wicke on the east side.
Camping on the NF there would put you close to grouse hunting while on your trip, blue or dusky grouse up in the forest there. Rock Creek trail head has good grouse hunting too.

Wow, thanks for all the info! Oh crap. Yea, definitely Wyoming lol. We will most likely be hunting either diamond lake or Laramie river. Going to apply for them and hope for the best after the website is back up.

Diamond Lake will be closer to the areas mentioned for camping, however it will not be a long drive to your hunting area.

Is Wyoming Unit 43 a good place for first time antelope hunters to start? I sure hope so, because that's where were going! Any recommendations on must have gear? Flying commercial from the east coast, so we will have to limit our equipment

Rifle with a bipod, knee pads, gloves , a day pack. and good binos. Make sure you check the weather forecast before you come out for clothing options.
43 is a good area and very green and wet right now.
A good sized cooler will hold more than one boned out antelope.
Good fishing close by if you're so inclined. You'll also be right near the north end of the Snowy Range, on the south side of the area, for a nice scenic drive into the mountains if you need a break from hunting. The east side puts you close to Highway 34 and drive through Sybille Canyon to look at some big bulls at the G&F research station and maybe some wild bighorn sheep., good fishing in Sybille Creek at the public sections.
For fuel and limited supplies you have Medicine Bow to the north, Rock River on east side, a truck stop at Hunt Rd exit on I-80 and Laramie. McFadden may have some supplies but I do not know.

Wytex-you are the man! Your input has been very helpful for a first timer. Putting together my list as we speak, I remember reading to take knee pads but had honestly forgot until you just mentioned them!

Gone fishing-first timers as well? How many do you guys have in your party? We aren’t going to be real picky with what we shoot. You guys gonna fight the opening week crowd, or wait til things calm down?

Yes Taylor13, first timers for Wyoming and Antelope. Me and my 17 year-old son. We killed a 4x3 bull Elk on our only other hunting trip out west to Colorado 2 years ago. That was his 16th birthday present. This trip is his 18th birthday present. He also drew a region D buck tag.

Not sure what part of the season we are coming yet. Will depend on the HMA draw. Drew some really good Florida hunts this year as well and that is also affecting what time we are going to come up.

Last edited:
Well this is quite the party. I drew Unit 43 as well. Heading there with 6 buddies who also drew. I will be doing some fishing and shed hunting hopefully while I am out there. Will be my second trip. I hunted the unit in 2015.

Well this is quite the party. I drew Unit 43 as well. Heading there with 6 buddies who also drew. I will be doing some fishing and shed hunting hopefully while I am out there. Will be my second trip. I hunted the unit in 2015.

Did you have any luck in 2015 in Unit 43? Everybody keeps talking about the fishing. I am assuming we should bring a rod as well. or buy a cheap one once we fly into Denver?

I’m in for 43 as well:). I’m not hunting. My wife and daughter are doing their first hunt and my son has a couple of doe tags. Should be epic!:)

If any of you find a black and camo Bushnell rangefinder in 43, let me know. I'd tell you where I lost it roughly, but it's in my "honey hole." Lol.

If any of you find a black and camo Bushnell rangefinder in 43, let me know. I'd tell you where I lost it roughly, but it's in my "honey hole." Lol.

Haha if I find it I will gladly return it, in exchange for an icy cold beer. 🍻

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back