Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Ultimate Slam 2-7x33 vs Vx3i 2.5-8x36 on Savage 220f 20ga Slug Gun

DucksN'Bucks

Hi there, I am in the market for a new scope to be placed on my savage 220. Currently, I have a Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40 and while it is a decent scope it lacks the light transferability I am seeking at magnification settings above 5X or so in the really low light experienced hunting in cover during the last or first 5min of legal shooting light. A while back I bought a Diamondback Hp 2-8x32 for a great deal and intended on placing this scope on my savage 220 but, due to a variety of issues causing for the return and repairs of various optics I own that are from the vortex brand, I have decided to give Leupold a try. I also have determined that for a slug gun (realistically 300yds and less), a side focus scope is not really necessary and may be a hinderance if a buck steps out at 35yds and I have it set for 100 and the view through the scope is a blur. So, my main question, however, is between two scopes I can get at very good prices ( Ultimate slam 2-7x33 SABR or Vx3I 2-8x36) which would be better overall for my application? Will shooting a 20ga slug gun be an excessive recoil for the vx3i to handle or will it be fine (not too worried since I used a $150 crossfire II that wasn't "designed" for shotguns and it held up for the 3 years I've had it on the gun) and which would be better suited for the low light situations many slug hunters face in those first and last 5min of legal shooting light? Any other factors swaying one or the other would be much appreciated. Also, I know they have come out with the Vx-Freedom series and include the Muzzeloader version but to be honest with you, Im not too thrilled with the looks and the non resettable turrets (even though ill be a set and forget, still isn't aesthetically pleasing). Unless there is a huge difference between the Vx- freedom muzzleloader and the Ultimate slam, I would most likely get the Ultimate slam being I can get it for cheaper, and it comes with cheap bikini style lenses covers that apparently aren't included on Vx-freedom series scopes. :confused:

Thanks so much,
DucksN'Bucks

I have used Leupold scopes almost exclusively for rifles and shotguns. A 20 gauge will not be too tough on them!

I have a 3-9 Leupold SABR on a muzzleloader and like it, although I have never shot so far that I needed to use the holdover lines. I also have two VX3i 2.5-8 scopes on rifles and love them. One of them is on my Remington Model 7 FS 7mm-08 and its my go-to rifle for most of the rifle hunting that I do. I think the VX3i is a better scope than the SABR, which is basically (or was) a VX 2. Depending on the cost of each and how far to expect to shoot would be my two main considerations. Another option, if you plan to shoot far, is to get the B&C reticle in the 2.5-8. It will cost much more, but them you get the best of both worlds.

Personally, I'd go for the VX3i.

I second what curvebow said.

I like my ultimate slam, but it is basically a vx2. The vx3i is better.

Put a VX-1 3-9x40 on it! Have one on my 45-70 and love it. In my opinion, a VX-3i is overkill for a slug gun. I wouldn't spend the extra money for the VX-3i. I know Leupold stopped manufacturing the VX-1's, but there's plenty of brand new ones on Ebay. That bigger objective will give you better light transmission anyway.

That vx3 in 2.5-8 is my favorite scope for the woods. I have had one for the last 15 years and it's been great.

Thanks for the help guys! When I originally purchased the gun (3 years ago), the shop I bought it from mounted my Vortex crossfire II using standard weaver style mounts and im pretty sure offbrand, offset mounts. These mounts have to be what you would call xtra or xtra xtra high as they are basically see-thru mounts that are common on remington 7600's and the like. Ive never been fond of this set up and am debating on getting the EGW 1-piece rail along with either Weaver 4 bolt picatinny medium rings (dont make lows) or Burris XTR low rings. Im assuming with the vx3i having a 36mm objective, that low rings would be fine on a picatinny style mount base. Also, are these rings overkill? Or would I be just as well served with weaver quadlocks for a fraction of the cost? Lastly, ive heard / seen the shims that are used in burris rings, and am wondering if they are necessary to use (like do you need at least "normal" shims installed in order for the rings to fully make contact with the scope?) the reason I ask is id rather lap the rings then use plastic shims that ive heard can slip under recoil and can become brittle in different environments ie: winter.

Thanks so much, Ducks'NBucks

On my Sav 220 I used the a weaver 1 piece picatinny...it is the same as the long action 110 rifles. At first I tried a one piece base/ring combo (forget the brand) but it did not offer much in the way of moving the scope forward/backward for proper eye relief. I have a VX-1 2-7X33 mounted on mine currently. In New England 100yds would be aq very long shot

I have the Savage 210F Slug Gun with the 1 piece rail.

With the thickness of the rail and Medium 30MM rings..............my Bushnell Trophy 1.5-6X42 ( German 4 / Illuminated reticle) sits damn near flush to the barrel.

I have bought see through rings for earlier slug barrels I had on my various 870 Shotguns but they are a complete compromise and never even needed.

My vote would be to buy the best glass you can with the lowest low end power and the thickest duplex reticle ( like Leupold heavy duplex).

In NJ I have shot deer at 125 yards no problem with my German 4 dot held where I wanted it.

But in low light with multiple hashes you will eventually pick the wrong crossbar and have a bad result ( done it before )

You may not find one for sale but years ago Burris made a 2-7X32 duplex that was just about perfect for Shotgun / Muzzleloader.

Price point was between $169-$199 and now I wish I had bought 5 of them.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back