MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Dismal morning at the range......need help!

I had an A-Bolt and have an X-Bolt that both really like Federal Vital Shok with the 210 gr Nosler Partition. Might be worth a $50 investment to give them a try. I can tell you that bullet really lets the air out of elk and oryx. I had one bull that stayed on his feet for 70 yards all downhill. I think he was dead of his feet but the downhill momentum keep him going. Every other critter shot with the 210 gr Partition did not take a single step. Farthest shot was 380 yards on a bull elk.

I had an A-Bolt and have an X-Bolt that both really like Federal Vital Shok with the 210 gr Nosler Partition. Might be worth a $50 investment to give them a try. I can tell you that bullet really lets the air out of elk and oryx. I had one bull that stayed on his feet for 70 yards all downhill. I think he was dead of his feet but the downhill momentum keep him going. Every other critter shot with the 210 gr Partition did not take a single step. Farthest shot was 380 yards on a bull elk.

I plan to try some federal in accubonds or partition to see if that makes a difference.

I think that rifle will shoot once you get a load it likes. Hopefully you can find a factory load. If not, there's never a bad time to start reloading.:D

I think that rifle will shoot once you get a load it likes. Hopefully you can find a factory load. If not, there's never a bad time to start reloading.:D

I certainly hope. I ordered some federal premium in 225 accubonds and if they don't shoot I'm going to work up some hand loads with a buddy and go from there

The Accubonds or Ballistic Tips should shoot fairly well. I traded an A-Bolt 7 mag years ago because it didn’t group like I wanted. Maybe you’ll just have to keep shots under 300 yards.

As long as you are kicking around reloading ideas, try getting some Barnes 225 gr TTSX . They shoot really well in most rifles, and shoot best of anything I shot out of my .340 Wby. Just a thought. If you aren't happy with them, I will buy the rest of the Barnes bullets that you don't use.

Edited to add: Just re-read the OP, and you already tried the Barnes Vortex 225, and they didn't work for you. Sorry....

Last edited:
Some rifles just don't like some ammo and/or bullet's. I had a Ruger M77 years ago in 7x57 that wouldn't shoot anything I fed it. Got frustrated and fed it some RN bullet's and it turned into a match gun! Go figure!

As long as you are kicking around reloading ideas, try getting some Barnes 225 gr TTSX . They shoot really well in most rifles, and shoot best of anything I shot out of my .340 Wby. Just a thought. If you aren't happy with them, I will buy the rest of the Barnes bullets that you don't use.

Edited to add: Just re-read the OP, and you already tried the Barnes Vortex 225, and they didn't work for you. Sorry....

I'm shooting TTSX right now in the Barnes ammo. I may try some as well. I really love the very reliably they expand and perform

Quick update guys. Tried some Federal premium with 225 accubonds. Cleaned the bore and shot one fowling shot. Then this 3 shot group at 100. This gives me hope. Fingers crossed it continues to shoot like thisSnapchat-1132757087.jpg

Well guys, my frustration is building. After shooting a very respectable .75 moa group at 100, I shot a group at 200 yards both on Friday and again this afternoon. Both targets started out great with the first 2 shots landing within 1 inch of each other and the next 2 being way off. Also indicated a small zero shift day to day. Tried letting the barrel cool between shots so I doubt it's a heat issue. I'm getting the feeling I'm going to be shopping for a new rifle. I took 2 separate rifles out and shot sub moa groups with both at 200 with box ammo so I know it's not me.Snapchat-1449389649.jpgSnapchat-1805484298.jpg

Almost another $50 in ammo gone and I'm no better off than when I started. I'm going to take a single shot at 200 for 3 consecutive days to 100% rule out barrel heating. But if the gun is that temperamental I just dont feel confident at 4 or 500 yards

Scope...?

I burned through a lot of ammo troubleshooting a VX2 that died.

Scope...?

I burned through a lot of ammo troubleshooting a VX2 that died.

Aside from the gun I guess that's the only other variable. It was checked out by leupold a few years back and the erector system was replaced. What is weird is how the first 2 shots are spot on and the next 2 are wild, on both groups. I wonder if the barrel is really temperamental when it comes to heat

What's even stranger is my buddy's abolt done the exact same thing. He shot a group at 200 Friday. His first 2 shots were almost in the same hole then threw the third high and right very similar to what my rifle does

3 shot group false alarm huh? Well, it isn't the first. I still think it's ammo. Maybe the gun a little too. I think if it was the scope, it would be spraying worse than that. Wouldn't be a bad idea to move on to another rifle/cartridge. I'd get something with less recoil personally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back