Yeti GOBOX Collection

Dismal morning at the range......need help!

If you tried every good tip above and it still shoots like crap, try some different ammo. Some guns are just fussy on what bullet weight they like. Maybe it will like something closer to 200 grains.

If you tried every good tip above and it still shoots like crap, try some different ammo. Some guns are just fussy on what bullet weight they like. Maybe it will like something closer to 200 grains.
Yeah I've kinda been thinking that ammo is partly to blame. 1.5 MOA probably isn't terrible for a 30 year old rifle and off the shelf ammo. I'd really like to reload for it but time is a constraint. I like the heavier for caliber bullets for energy retention at distance. Either way it gets expensive at around $50 a box. I'd like to try some Nosler trophy grade but its $75 a box

For factory ammo in a 338win that's not a bad group. Like stated maybe try a few other bullets and see what your rifle likes.

Try using a torque wrench to set the action screws to 35-45inlb.
Also try not to switch between barnes bullets and others without a complete copper removal in-between. Doing so seems to fowl out my gun right quick. My accuracy drops in a few shots!
Lastly with my A bolt I either shoot two fouls then shoot "warm barrel" OR wait a full 30min between shots for "cold barrel". I have noticed with my A bolt that if I wait 10-20min between shots I have a p.o.i shift.
My theory is that after 10 min the end (thinner part) of the barrel has cooled but the chamber (thicker) part of the barrel is still quite warm. It either creates some tension or warpage within the barrel itself or between the barrel and the receiver. Ymmv

A lot of good advice already.

Disassemble, clean, torque together and check all the optic mounting also. Might try to 'wipe' the scope dial as well; run it up and down and return to zero. I will bet you are having problems with mounting hardware or optics.

Also, it is a 338. Are you comfortable with the recoil ? As I shoot my accuracy goes downhill relative to the beating I take. Just a thought.

-Dustin

A lot of good advice already.

Disassemble, clean, torque together and check all the optic mounting also. Might try to 'wipe' the scope dial as well; run it up and down and return to zero. I will bet you are having problems with mounting hardware or optics.

Also, it is a 338. Are you comfortable with the recoil ? As I shoot my accuracy goes downhill relative to the beating I take. Just a thought.

-Dustin

I remounted the scope a year or two ago with leupold dual dovetail mounts. I used blue locktite and torqued every screw. I don't like the recoil haha but I've shot it so much I'm kinda used to it. I squeeze every shot and it's a surprise when the gun goes off. I shot nearly a box of ammo yesterday and I feel it today haha

Last edited:
I sent the scope in a few years back because I thought it wasn't holding zero. Leupold said nothing was wrong but they replaced the erector assembly anyway. I also had the CDS added. I live in NC so shots past 250 yards are very unusual. Its plenty accurate for that but after a mule deer hunt last year in WY I was convinced I needed to be proficient out to 450 or 500 so that's where I'm at now.

It's heresy to speak ill of the big "L" on this website, but I'd be swapping it for a known good scope.

What are the blue box Federals? A couple of people have suggested those

Some think it is a magical ammo that will shoot great in any firearm. If the "blue box" doesn't shoot, well then, you have a problem. But, you don't see many folks that claim this that hunt with said ammo. Weird. mtmuley

Some think it is a magical ammo that will shoot great in any firearm. If the "blue box" doesn't shoot, well then, you have a problem. But, you don't see many folks that claim this that hunt with said ammo. Weird. mtmuley

Haha true! I've always heard Federal Good Medal match shoots good in everything but it's not a hunting ammo and they don't make it in .338 win mag.

It's heresy to speak ill of the big "L" on this website, but I'd be swapping it for a known good scope.

I'm going to rebed the action front and rear (factory is only around the recoil lug) and try again. I also have a practically new vx3i on another rifle I could try. I want do do one thing at a time so I can tell exactly what makes a difference if any

If you don't want to try bedding the front (barrel), just put a couple layers of business cards, or maybe brass shims to apply some upward pressure (as opposed to free-floating). If the upward pressure leads to a good group instead of a random pattern, then you can bed the barrel.

Haha true! I've always heard Federal Good Medal match shoots good in everything but it's not a hunting ammo and they don't make it in .338 win mag.

It's good at indicating where your problem lies, it's not for hunting. You can go through the process of elimination, or you can just randomly throw darts. Or listen to someone who doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. Either way, good luck.

C'mon Rancho. I've also seen on the net that if a rifle won't shoot a Nosler Ballistic Tip there's a problem. It's not as easy as feeding a rifle cheap ammo. Carry on. mtmuley

Everyone is pretty well spot on. It would seem it would have to be bedding, ammo, or just the recoil. I wouldn't bet it's the scope or rings personally. Could be though; you never know. As far as ammo goes, you never know what your gun is going to like. At the end of the day, 1.5 moa isn't terrible, but like you already know, not good enough for 400 or 500. You're being honest, counting flyers, and shooting more than 3 shot groups, which a lot of guys don't do. You'll get it figured out. Keep us updated. Will be interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back