Zinke's Halliburton mess gets deeper

mfb99

Politico had a follow up article on the relationship of Ryan Zinke and Haliburton.

Here is the article from Politico:

Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke met at department headquarters in August with Halliburton Chairman David Lesar and other developers involved in a Montana real estate deal that relied on help from a foundation Zinke established, according to a participant in the meeting and records cited by House Democrats late Thursday.

Zinke, Lesar and the others later discussed the development project over dinner that night, the participant in the meeting confirmed to POLITICO.

The new details raise further questions about Zinke's involvement in the project, and whether his conversations with the developers — especially in Interior's office — violated federal conflict of interest laws given Halliburton’s extensive business before this department. POLITICO reported Tuesday that a foundation Zinke established a decade ago agreed to let the Lesar-backed development build a parking lot on foundation land.

Zinke has told POLITICO that he was no longer involved in the foundation’s operations since becoming secretary in March 2017, and that has he “resigned as president and board member” of the foundation when he joined President Donald Trump's Cabinet. But he has not said whether he continued holding discussions with the developers, who are pursuing a multi-use project in his hometown of Whitefish.

Zinke was scheduled to meet at the Interior Department with Lesar and his son and lead project developer Casey Malmquist on Aug. 3, according to an email from his scheduler cited by the House Democrats. About six weeks later, he received an email from Malmquist with plans for the development, which is expected to include shops and a microbrewery — a project initially proposed by Zinke more than five years ago.

A week after Zinke received Malmquist’s email, Zinke's wife, Lola, signed a letter of intent in her role as president of the foundation agreeing to let the developers use its land.

“Ryan — our development plan and your park project are an absolute grand slam,” Malmquist wrote in one email to Zinke released via the Freedom of Information Act. “I have never been more excited about a development as I am about this one.”

Rep. Raúl Grijalva of Arizona and other Democrats on the House Natural Resources Committee wrote to the inspector general's office that the email and meeting with Malmquist and the Lesars raise "troubling questions about whether Secretary Zinke has used federal resources and his position as Secretary of the Interior for personal financial gain and whether he or other DOI staff is actively trying to cover it up.”

“The American people must be able to trust that Department of the Interior decisions that affect the nation’s welfare on a daily basis are not compromised by individual self-enrichment,” they wrote. “We urge you to investigate the contents of the Politico report and the legal and professional questions raised here at your earliest convenience.”

The Interior Department did not immediately respond to request for comment

Well, more corruption and self dealing. Ryan Zinke is the first Secretary of the Interior whose Blaze Orange and Hunter Green Vest when turned inside out has Haliburton monogrammed on the left breast pocket. We truly do have a Manchurian candidate of the extraction industry running the department that is supposed to be protecting OUR Public Lands.

Zinke is not our friend, he is not or advocate, he will not do good by us. Don't carry water for him.

Cheers,

Mark

Ye Shall Be Free To Roam....

I can read all that crap without you posting it every time Zinke takes a breath and it appears that with your closing remarks you have again violated what Randy warned you about! Do you hunt, fish, hike, bike, own any firearms, or are you just a plain old political activist that has nothing else to do in your life? You are now on Ignore and I hope Randy cans your butt for violating his administrative policies as owner of this site that he has already warned you about!

I put him on ignore sometime ago. I too hope for his banishment.

I’m sure there’s some Californians who hunt. Do you? Can you not find a politics forum the better suits your rants?

This ones called “hunt talk” not “politics rant”.

Although it is realized that information about trophy heads, hides, and horns and what load to use in your 300 Mag is greatly appreciated by most HuntTalkers, at the same time this platform is effective in disseminating current information about issues and happenings as researched and shared by Rob, Kat, Mark, and others. Such information, unfortunately often in the form of "political rants", is important to many of us who wish to be engaged and active in advocating on behalf of hunting, wildlife, public lands preservation and protection, access, and other related topics ... usually under a HT topic heading such as "Public Land Issues" or "Sportsmen Issues".

I enjoy and learn from reading it all. I am sorry that some of the topics and posts do annoy some of you, so respectfully urge you to simply ignore those and continue reading and contributing to the topics you prefer.

Although it is realized that information about trophy heads, hides, and horns and what load to use in your 300 Mag is greatly appreciated by most HuntTalkers, at the same time this platform is effective in disseminating current information about issues and happenings as researched and shared by Rob, Kat, Mark, and others. Such information, unfortunately often in the form of "political rants", is important to many of us who wish to be engaged and active in advocating on behalf of hunting, wildlife, public lands preservation and protection, access, and other related topics ... usually under a HT topic heading such as "Public Land Issues" or "Sportsmen Issues".

I enjoy and learn from reading it all. I am sorry that some of the topics and posts do annoy some of you, so respectfully urge you to simply ignore those and continue reading and contributing to the topics you prefer.

I too enjoy reading and learning to be able to also do what you mentioned in your first paragraph. However, did you not read the warning that Randy gave this guy about his posts that have all of his added personal crap about Zinke like "swamp thing", etc.?! It's not the things he posts that are important in the overall scheme of things that Randy and most have no problem in him posting. It's all the "added" BS or "ranting" that he puts in there and I really do wonder if he is even a sportsperson of any type or just a political activist. Anyway, he's on Ignore now since I'm usually already aware of the things he posts about and he can do his thing however he wants and Randy can decide how far to let him go with his posts before he gets booted!

Last edited:
However, did you not read the warning that Randy gave this guy about his posts that have all of his added personal crap about Zinke like "swamp thing", etc.?!
Yes, I did and I do agree previous rantings have been lengthy and obnoxious ... but that is why I added the comment about the above rant being not too extensive or vile. In fact somehow he was able to restrain to a three-sentence expression of "added BS".

Yes, I did and I do agree previous rantings have been lengthy and obnoxious ... but that is why I added the comment about the above rant being not too extensive or vile. In fact somehow he was able to restrain to a three-sentence expression of "added BS".

I agree with your analysis and that's probably why he's still around! At least it was at the end of his post, rather than to start it like it usually was, LOL!

While this particular thread is not directly related to public land hunting it does show how Zinke is not looking out for our best interests as far as public land goes. Zinke is like most of the current administration in that they are mostly concerned with lining their own pockets.
As public land hunters we should be doing everything we can to prevent Zinke and his partner Scott Pruitt from ruining our public lands.
Until Randy decides mfb99 has broken the rules I will keep reading these informative articles.
I will not bury my head in the sand and pretend nothing bad is going on.

I'm certainly one who doesn't have my head buried in the sand and stated earlier that I'm up on this stuff well before the OP even makes his posts! It really sucks that Zinke appears to be a real skunk in this new job of his after apparently serving our country so well during his career in the Marines!

I'm certainly one who doesn't have my head buried in the sand and stated earlier that I'm up on this stuff well before the OP even makes his posts! It really sucks that Zinke appears to be a real skunk in this new job of his after apparently serving our country so well during his career in the Marines!

It’s really, really simple Top. If you don’t like the thread topic or the guy posting simply don’t click on it.

I do this a lot on the Wyoming threads.

Anyway, he's on Ignore now since I'm usually already aware of the things he posts about and he can do his thing however he wants and Randy can decide how far to let him go with his posts before he gets booted!

Ignore - refuse to take notice of or acknowledge; disregard intentionally.

On another note, this thread is padding your post count. Carry on.

Last edited:
It’s really, really simple Top. If you don’t like the thread topic or the guy posting simply don’t click on it.

I guess you can't read that I've already put him on Ignore and I think you will go there too!

I don’t actually read any of his biased rants - just was curious if he’d ever been hunting.

Good advice in any forum. I read a lot of stuff that I don't feel like getting into. Political or otherwise. mtmuley

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back