Caribou Gear

Wyoming Late Season Cow Outfitter in Leftover Unit

jt13

Hey everybody,

I'm trying to help out a friend who is looking to take his elderly father with 2 bad hips on his first elk hunt. They are looking for an elk guide/outfitter for a late season cow hunt in one of the easy to draw leftover units in Wyoming between Christmas and New Years.

I was pointing them towards unit 6 due to there being almost 1,000 leftover tags but the outfitter they called yesterday (Bar-nunn) wants $3000 a person for a guided cow hunt which is quite frankly ridiculous.

Anyone have any other suggestions or previous experiences?

I'm all about the DIY self guided hunt but there's no way my buddies dad is going to be able to help carry any kind of weight or hike very far

You might call a game warden in an area where there are leftovers and tell them your dilemma. He/she will probably know of landowners that have issues with elk eating their hay.

I'll mention that as an option.

Historically, I haven't had good luck getting Wyoming Game Wardens to call me back but maybe they'll have better luck. If I was a Wyoming GW, I'd get tired of the hundreds of phone calls asking for handouts too! I'll suggest a biologist as well, they seem a little more likely to call back from my experience.

I was pushing them more towards a legitimate guide so they'll have someone to help them move and process meat and somewhere to stay. Neither of them have ever hunted out west before so I'm trying to lower some hurdles for them.

A guided cow elk hunt for $3,000.

That’s pretty funny. They must get it from somebody.

Be careful with Area 6. Lots of private and the Warden/Biologist warned us that those tags are difficult to fill due to a few land owners who enjoy the herds and prevent hunting. I would talk with them prior putting in so you know what your getting in to. There is a reason there are that many tags left over.

If he did pick up a cow tag and strikes out with help during the regular season, he might want to check out going with an outfit on the refuge. It's weather dependent but not a tasking hunt at all. Food for thought at the very least.

You may be able to ask around and see if there are landowners that charge a small trespass fee, with out a guide. All the leftover tags here in Southeast Wyoming are dominated by private property. It the area has an asterisk above it on the left over list that equals difficult public access. Area 7 has a lot of HMA and Walk in areas. Not sure how many tags they have left though.

$3,000 for a cow hunt seems crazy. It looks like the going rate is $1,500- $2,000. Good luck with your search. I don't have any experience with area 6 so I can't comment on it.

It doesnt have to be in area 6. I just thought that would be a good place to start, it can really be anywhere with a healthy amount of leftovers! Thanks for all the replies so far!

Bull hunts are up to $6000-8000 at most places I was looking!

I wonder if/when the bubbles going to burst. I don't think too many of the up and coming generation of hunters that are leasing their cars, renting apartments, and living paycheck to paycheck are going to be shelling out the better part of $10,000 to go hunting....

Bull hunts are up to $6000-8000 at most places I was looking!

I wonder if/when the bubbles going to burst. I don't think too many of the up and coming generation of hunters that are leasing their cars, renting apartments, and living paycheck to paycheck are going to be shelling out the better part of $10,000 to go hunting....

I too have sticker shock when seeing these prices, but when less than 25,000 WY non-resident elk tags get sold to in a country with 125 million households, there are plenty in the top 5% that make $175k+ (that's still over 6 million households) that can easily make this choice.

Maybe a long shot, however, I have seen cow elk hunts advertised for $1500.00 in Huntin' Fool magazine. I know that they are not what you are looking for, however, I believe that they were in New Mexico. If you are a member you can call and ask for outfitters.

good luck to all
the dog

Maybe a long shot, however, I have seen cow elk hunts advertised for $1500.00 in Huntin' Fool magazine. I know that they are not what you are looking for, however, I believe that they were in New Mexico. If you are a member you can call and ask for outfitters.

good luck to all
the dog

Yeah, if they are going guided there is no reason to limit themselves to a particular state.

Check out vermejo Park ranch. It is a Ted turner ranch in northern NM. They do guided hunts for $1000-1250. No accommodations though. If you want accommodations it’s is up around $3000

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back