How much competition will I weed out? Colorado OTC Archery.

KayakMacGyver

I've had a spot picked out on the map in Colorado Unit 70 (OTC Archery) that I've been drooling over since May of 2017. It looks absolutely beautiful, but my biggest concern when hunting, always, is a crowd. Easy for me to gauge here at home and I know how far I must go to escape it. As I stare at maps of a western state, understanding how much space it takes to not feel crowded, I keep tripping over my own ideas. The spot I have picked out seems to be too close to a heavy access area. By my standards, here in Florida, the 1.5 to 2 mile trek from a trail is nothing. However, after making trips out West I realize 2 miles can be quite the handful. So, my question is, is 2 miles enough to weed out the competition? Elevation gain is going to be around 2,000 feet from the trail, but the majority of the the hunt-able area is going to be around 1,000' in elevation gain over the course of a mile and a half. It's around 9 square miles and I plan on spiking out in the area. Closest road access will be where I park, which is about a mile and a half from the hunt area and there aren't trails within around the same distance.

My biggest challenge this trip will be that I'm going solo with no pack help. So, while planning for a successful trip I need to account for a meat pack out and I'm setting my limits at maximum 3 miles one way from the truck. That would mean 24-30 miles of meat/gear hauling in the event I get it done. Fact of the matter is I really don't know, but I certainly don't want to over extend myself until I learn more. I also have a bunch of spots picked out way the heck out there, but don't think it would be prudent.

So, what do you all think...will I make enough space for myself given my description of the hunt area?

It's hard to say, you get to far back in there and you'll hit outfitters and horse camps, which could care less about elevation gain. It's OTC in CO, chances are you'll have company. Don't worry about it so much, go into it with realistic expectations, and have fun.

2 miles in is where everyone from this forum starts. When I read some of these threads, I wonder if the least hunted areas are 300-500 yds from the trailheads. :)

2 miles might or might not do it, depends on many other factors (trails, elevation, steepness, etc.). But it's probably a good start. In my favorite spot going downhill in elevation used to weed out more people than going uphill. But lately there have been some younger guys who have figured this out also, and the competition is beginning to take it's toll (and I'm not getting any younger). I do know in the places I've checked out going in 4-5+ miles gets me into completion with outfitters and others on horses.

My best advice is to be flexible and have a Plan B and C.

2 miles aint crap... hell i walk further than that in dark many mornings. elevation gain could be better deterant to others.

I often am faced with some of these same questions in my hunting here in Colorado. I agree it's nothing to be walking a long distances in the dark to get to the area you want to hunt. Thing is, in doing that, I've busted the Elk in the dark, that otherwise would perhaps be moving over to the area I intended to hunt where they are at shooting light. So there's that.
Then, I'd encourage you to be realistic in what you're capable of doing with regard to packing meat out. The combo of distance, altitude, percent slope, and the pack weight. If you've ever done this stuff in rough country, it can be a tough dose of reality, and difficult. I've had pack outs less distance than what you're describing, and had sore feet, knees, and screwed up neck vertebra from it.
I think some of the other comments are pretty relevant too...

I hiked 8 miles into our drop camp last year and we had guides and horses all over us all week last year. Most of the hiking crowd stopped about 4 miles in. As with any DIY Public land hunt, expect company and learn how to adjust accordingly. Shoot straight!

Really depends on the terrain, 2 miles off trail through oak brush or lodge pole pine timber jail... yeah 4+ hours later you will definitely be alone. On the side of the coin, I took a break from chores on Saturday to check out some sheep according to onxmaps tracker it took 3hr 33min was 5.98 miles and 2000' elevation gain which includes the time spent glassing... and I spend 10 hours a day behind a desk so I'm sure any of the guys on her would have smoked me up there.

Take jrbaq's advice and have back up spots and be flexible, I killed my first bull within a mile of the truck after hiking 6 miles in the night before seeing a ton of other hunters opening morning while trudging out frustrated... so you never know.

CO OTC you'll very likely have company. We always stay in a wall tent near road and think nothing of going in and out 2 miles, usually more, daily.

I went two years ago into unit 74, next to 70, and saw a few drop camps, bumped into hunters on trails, and even potentially ruined a setup some other hunting camp had, regrettably. This was after walking a few miles in, I did not expect that much pressure, but it is for sure there. I wonder if the fires this year will push more people out of these units towards the outside ones, like 70, or people will avoid going to SW CO all together and relax some of the pressure off the area. But either way, if I went back I would not think twice about setting up closer to the road and hunting more shallow, it seemed to me like there is going to be other people regardless so why kill yourself.

Appreciate all the good feedback. I realize, in hindsight, how broad of a question I posed. However, through many of your answers I got the info I'm searching for. There are some strategies to hunting "close" and it's definitely one I'm going to use. Finding that sweet spot will be tricky, but with 8 days in the woods to myself, I look forward to finding my own honey holes.

Sometimes all it takes is climbing over a saddle into a bowl you cant see from the trail. Just depends on where you're hunting. Most the time in NV, the only time I see other hunters is actually ON the trail.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back