Lodging

NDMuley

Drew my 1st antelope tag this year. I am hunting in unit 26. What are some suggestions for accommodations in that area? Was thinking Douglas but open to other ideas. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I'd say find a spot on BLM and pitch a tent. Not familiar with that unit, but camping could potentially drastically decrease your driving.

We stayed at the Douglas Inn the first time out there. Nothing special but we weren't looking for anything special either. Just something to come back to with a shower and a bed to sleep in. It worked out just fine.

It's been a few years since I hunted there but from what I remember 26 is a unit you will be doing a lot of driving in and more than likely cover much of the accessible land in the unit over a day or two of hunting. Most pieces are pretty small and a short walk will allow you to view much of the accessible land. The pieces of land that are accessible but not visible from the road are sometimes worth the walk.

Can’t help on lodging much as it’s been 20 years since I’ve been there. Bill was nothing more than oil rigs and a post office when I was there. But, what I can help you with is advice. The infrastructure has surely changed but one thing that hasn’t is the Clay. Be forewarned you need good tires to get around as most of that will turn to a red grease that dries into almost concrete. When this happens don’t ignore it. We had snow in the morning and 50 during the day for 5 days. At the end of the 5 days our truck was almost bottomed out with the weight of the clay stuck underneath. The pressure washers In Douglas barely touched it. It took several hours and a lot of trips to the quarter machine to get enough of it out to get the clearance required to hook up our trailer. It was a expensive experience / lesson learned.

No not a whole lot of help or experience on the place but I have tags and 29 and 26 I’m going to be staying at the Douglas KOA. I think a campsite with electricity is like 20 bucks.

Back