Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Vacation Help

hornhunter61

Hey fellas, the wife and I and our 3 kids are heading to yellowstone this summer on vacation. I would like to see the main attractions, but also want to get away from the crowds and see the guts and bowels of yellowstone. Any help would be greatly appreciated, have done some research and have found a few things online but am always looking for advice. Thanks for your time!

If you search the forums, I think I posted a list last summer for the same question.

If you leave the road 1/4 a mile you will loose 95% of the crowd.

Go to Cody, hit the Buffalo Bill Museum. Plan to spend all day.

Drive the Beartooth highway.

Do a horseback trip in the SW corner of the park.

Don't forget about Tetons to the South.

Bring a flyrod.

I agree with 406 the Beartooth Highway we missed last summer because I had some cranky kids that thought it was boring, we only made it out of the park about 10 miles or so. We planned way too few days out there and cannot wait to get back. From what I have been told by friends is hike to the falls that are a little ways off the roads and it will be work it.

We cannot wait to get back out there.

Raft the Snake River south of Jackson, rent bikes and ride along Tetons, fish Henry's Lake, see Mesa Falls, check out Dillion area, Virginia City and, bring the fly rod as 406life pointed out.

Hey fellas, the wife and I and our 3 kids are heading to yellowstone this summer on vacation. I would like to see the main attractions, but also want to get away from the crowds and see the guts and bowels of yellowstone. Any help would be greatly appreciated, have done some research and have found a few things online but am always looking for advice. Thanks for your time!

Get up early.
Walk.
If you want to see critters, ask the seasonals working in the park's sinclair gas station stores about sightings, they have the best intel on bear and woofs.
Be good natured, you'll run into crowds, just remember this is a once in a lifetime thing for a lot of these people.

Two great spots for kids: 1. Easy hike, spectacular views, often wildlife on the trail from the nice picnic area on the road to the Lamar Valley out of Tower Junction. After crossing a bridge over the Yellowstone River, the picnic area is on the right and the trail starts there and goes up along the rim of the Yellowstone canyon in that area.

2. Take the family to the Mud Volcano boardwalk south of the Hayden Valley on the grand loop heading toward Yellowstone Lake. Off that boardwalk is Dragon's Mouth Springs which emits a guttural dragon's roar that
really tickles the kids. It's worth the stop and the short hike.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back