MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Looking to head west, from WI

Miller8812

Looking to start going at least once a year for any species, waterfowl included. I will hunt it all. I’m 29 I live by Green Bay. I had a good amount of equipment bought. I was going to go archery elk hunting with a buddy this fall, but he has nothing bought and wanted nothing to do with any of the planning which is highly annoying. I bow hunt and rifle hunt either weapon is fine for me. Open to more than one person as well. I’m fine with a truck hunt or a backpack hunt. We can take my truck or I can split travel costs either one is good with me. I just want someone serious and dedicated. I’ve never gone before but I have scoured every video Randy made for tips. Only big purchases I’d need are a spotter if we go one a hunt that warrants it, and a 4 seasons tent if we go on a backpack hunt. I’m open to making this season work if we can get otc tags. I’ve been hunting since I was 12. Let me know if you want to talk.

Miller,

I needed a partner as well but they all backed out but I made my own plan. I am going out by my self kinda. I am planning to drive out to Colorado with my son for the drive and setting up wall tent at state campground then my son will scout with me for a few days during second season rifle and they i will fly him back to college. During scouting i am looking for a camp site in the mountains and then a group of good guys from Indiana will join me for third season so I am not alone and for a good elk camp. If weather is good i plan on backpack camping from base camp. I have all equipment, trailer, atv, wall tent, etc. You are welcome to join . I am an hour north of you at cottage or an hour South of you. You could hunt second of third. You could drive with me one way or fly or endless possibilities. PM if you would like to discuss.

Last edited:
Once upon a time, I was a bit like yourself. I'm from Baraboo, in So. Central Wisconsin, but am now in Southcentral Colorado, on my 49 acre ranch, dead end road, surrounded on 3 sides by Federal Lands, and a 13,000 ft. mountain summit 5 miles behind me. I have a fleet of 2 horses a pack mule and pack Burro plus 3 ATVs. Today, I swapped cards in the game camera and have been having Elk, Deer, Bear, Fox, Marten, on it like there are every Summer. All said because you can make your dreams come true.
I'm archery hunting "out back".
I didn't pick up on what season you're actually hunting, or what part of Colorado your going too? Just stayed tuned for the latest conditions in the Forests, as the horrendous fires are burning up the State, and there's a of Summer left. Fires have the tendency to completely close down Forest entry, so a person needs to know and be flexible for this reason.

Hey Miller, I'm in Madison, WI and my friend backed out on our New Mexico mule deer hunt this fall. I'd be happy to have someone else join me as it stands right now, I'm looking into outfitters since this will be my first western and first mule deer hunt and I'm not so sure about going solo for a backcountry hunt in the Aldo Leopold Wilderness / Gila National Forest.

One issue though is that this isn't an OTC hunt and it'd be a pretty big commitment to come all the way to New Mexico with me just to help out... But anyway, I thought I'd throw it out there. I actually have my own post pending right now as well looking for a partner or an outfitter recommendation.

- Justin

Looking to start going at least once a year for any species, waterfowl included. I will hunt it all. I’m 29 I live by Green Bay. I had a good amount of equipment bought. I was going to go archery elk hunting with a buddy this fall, but he has nothing bought and wanted nothing to do with any of the planning which is highly annoying. I bow hunt and rifle hunt either weapon is fine for me. Open to more than one person as well. I’m fine with a truck hunt or a backpack hunt. We can take my truck or I can split travel costs either one is good with me. I just want someone serious and dedicated. I’ve never gone before but I have scoured every video Randy made for tips. Only big purchases I’d need are a spotter if we go one a hunt that warrants it, and a 4 seasons tent if we go on a backpack hunt. I’m open to making this season work if we can get otc tags. I’ve been hunting since I was 12. Let me know if you want to talk.

Worst part about a partner is someone who wants to run your show.

You might want to put a post on Wyoming or whichever Craigslist hinting at a local to take you out. Be advised that it's illegal AFAIK to outfit someone without a guide license but as another person put it there's no law against hunting with a friend. You might call a game processor about friends who will take other friends hunting.

GO BADGERS! Hope to have a great year this year.

Nothing wrong with going solo either! In any case, I'm about done with the public land circus that is WI come hunting season. Someday I will have my own 40 though. I now spend more time hunting out of state and with (usually) greater success, mostly by making a trip to hunt Missouri which is IMO one of the most underrated Whitetail states. This year it's going to be Idaho and Wyoming. Next year likely Arizona for Coues deer. Start buying preference points for as many states as you can and build those points up. It's something I wish I would have made more of a priority when I was a bit younger. GO BADGERS!

I am also a Wisconsinite in a similar situation. I live in Augusta (near Eau Claire) and I try to be a well rounded outdoorsman. I graduated from Stevens Point's college of Natural Resources program and I have hunted a variety of animals in WI including deer, bear, small game and waterfowl. I have really gotten a relatively new addiction to hunting out west with a couple DIY elk hunts under my belt. I want to hunt a variety of species but elk is definitely my #1. I have friends that say they would like to go out west but have bailed for one reason or another. I got tired of waiting and picked up a leftover cow tag in Wyoming this past fall for my first solo elk hunt even though my wife was convinced I was going to die out there by myself. I worked hard and ended up filling my tag. None of my friends seem serious enough to spend the money and time to build points for elk hunts or to hunt those hard to get to places. I plan on hopefully antelope hunting this fall but then elk hunting again the following one. The goal now is to start building points and hunt easy to get tags in the meantime.

From central Wisconsin, also interested in finding hunting partners. I annually try for a New Mexico elk tag and have been to Wyoming deer hunting. Always open to suggestions.

Hey fellers, I’m always looking for some guys to hunt with. Got a couple guys from work to go with occasionally but we work opposing schedules so we have to take time off to go together, I work in Chicago live in central Illinois. I put in for Colorado deer tag draw this year, have to wait until June to find out if I drew or not.
My plans/options are otc elk tags
Nebraska otc deer tags (went last year and had a blast killed a nice buck)
Nebraska otc pronghorn bow hunt ( went last year tough hunt killed a small buck)
Headed to Nebraska end of April turkey hunting.
Trying to work out the details on an Idaho spring bear hunt.

If any of you guess are interested let me know.

Also from Wisconsin(Platteville). 22yrs old and hunting most my life. Have a lot of my own gear wouldn't need to buy too much. I am heading to Idaho for Mule deer solo. If anyone is looking for a partner by all means PM me. Doing a lot of the planning right now. Thinking the Salmon area.

Miller8812- Were you able to put a hunt together last fall? Any plans this fall? If you’re still looking for someone to head west with let me know. It’s getting to be last minute but I’d even be up for something along the lines of a black hills archery hunt.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back