PEAX Equipment

Tent input

KayakMacGyver

I'm down to my last two pieces of backpacking gear for a Colorado 10 day archery elk hunting in mid-September. Already got some great feedback on my bag choice and was hoping to get some similar input for my tent. Honestly, I don't spend much time camping throughout the year as most of my hunting areas are day drivable here in Florida. So, tent and bag have been last on my priority.

I'm looking at pulling the trigger on the sierra designs summer moon 2. I like the prospect of a free standing tent, as that's been my only experience. Reading reviews it looks like the main downfall of this tent is the fly design and that it only has one door. I'll be camping solo, so the latter doesn't bother me. Otherwise, seems to be a pretty well reviewed tent. I'm not eyeing this tent because its the cheapest in their line, it just appears to serve my needs the best. I'm a big guy at 6'2 and like the space this tent affords. Plus, I should be able to set it up in 30 seconds flat,.

I get a great discount on their equipment, which is why I plan to go with Sierra Designs. Open to input on other options in their line.

If anyone spots any obvious deficiencies with this choice, please let me know.

https://sierradesigns.com/summer-moon-2/

Thanks in advance!

Kayak:
I haven't used a Sierra Designs tent, but if the quality is similar to their sleeping bags I'm sure it will be great (as stated on your sleeping bag thread). I have a tent that is very similar to the Summer Moon 2 and it has served me well. Mine has two doors and a larger fly, to make it easier for two people. About 5 years ago I got caught in a snow storm (18 inches overnight) and it performed VERY well. I'm super jelous of your hook up with Sierra Designs. Good luck with the hunt.

Bought the summer moon 2 person this year to replace my 5 year old tent that was well used.

Very happy, although I haven't taken it up to the mountains yet. We'll see after a 14 day solo Idaho hunt how it does!

I think that tent will probably be great for your needs, and as always most gear choices are personal preference so take this with a grain of salt. I personally think the fact that the fly doesn't completely cover the tent is weird... but maybe it's designed so that doesn't matter. ( I have 2 sierra designs tents and they both are great... I just don't have this model)

Depending on the unit you are hunting/where in a unit you are hunt you could be experiencing a wide range of weather, if I was you and was planning on going solo I would look at getting a bivy sack, probably about the same price and will weigh 1/3 as much, these are great if you are just looking at keeping your sleeping bag and pad dry (just put leave your pack next to you with a rain cover on it). I slept out under the stars last elk season during archery and first rifle and didn't need a tent although I had my rain fly in poles from my MSR in my pack. I would only recommend this if you are hunting a lower elevation area/ dryer area (western CO, oak brush habitat). I have also hunted deer and elk on the Continental divide during Sept and gotten dumped on (with snow), on that trip I had my MSR hubba hubba which I think is a bit beefier than that sierra designs tent, I was certainly glad I did and I still got a little wet/soggy because of the sheer mass of snow on the tent... not sure I would have wanted to do the same thing with a bivy...

Generally speaking I think you would be fine with this tent simply because for most of the time your out there you could probably get by with nothing, but if the conditions do turn really foul and you want a tent you are going to want something better. This tent gives me the I'm from the city and am scared to sleep out on the ground with nothing vibe, and less as protection from the elements.

Last edited:
I've had 3 or 4 sierra designs tents over the course of 20 or so years and have had nothing but good luck with them. Solid construction and design. I still have my first one that I bought used in the early 90's. By today's standards it is heavy but it still works great.

I have hunted all over CO in September and only use a tarp. I have taken a tent along and used it for camping by the truck, but I prefer a light weight minimalist shelter in the back country where I don't sleep in the same spot each night.

Probably won't find much lighter than the marmot tungsten ul 1p. 2lb 14oz includes the footprint. I've backpacked out of the regular 1p for a few years and it's worked as well as any in a 3 season situation.

I've not seen this tent on person, but if the side walls are the same material as the fly it would probably be ok. In a prolonged rain storm or driving wind and rain, the short fly could be an issue, IMO.

The Sierra Designs looks solid, but for me I prefer two doors and two vestibules. For about the same price you can get an REI Half Dome 2. Same size, probably the same weight, but more vestibule storage room outside of the tent. I've used mine for over 5 years now and it's been great. I've been just about everywhere in it and probably spend at minimum 3-5 nights a month in it. Breathes extremely well (even in cold or humid midwest weather), holds up to rain extremely well (woke up to my tent siting in 3" of water in the boundary waters once, stayed completely dry inside), has lots of vestibule room, and doesn't weigh a ton. It works great as a backcountry tent or a state park campground tent. I'm also a tall dude (6'5"), so the Half Dome 2 "Plus" was a nice touch. I sleep comfortably with my wife and our yellow lab, so you'd have no problem fitting enough hunting stuff in it.

https://www.rei.com/product/128692/rei-co-op-half-dome-2-plus-tent

There's actually an amazing deal going on these right now so I'd order one without hesitation. That's a killer deal.

Last edited:
Full disclosure, I work for Seek Outside and we manufacture lightweight high quality tents. That said, I'll nerd out a bit on the specs.

Fly Fabric: 68D 190T Poly Taffeta 1800MM PU WR FR CPAI84
Floor Fabric: 68D 190T Poly Taffeta 1800MM PU WR FR CPAI84
Body Fabric: 15D Nylon No-See-Um Mesh

It's a 68D PU coated fly and bathtub floor with a hydrostatic head rating of 1800 mm. That's really not too bad as big box tents go. We use silnylon rather than PU, and our fabrics' hydrostatic head ranges from 3000 to 4000 mm. HH is a measure of waterproofness and means the fabric will hold a column of water that high before water seeps through the weave. So the SD will hold a column 1800 mm tall, ours will hold 3000+.

PU will hydrolyze over time, become tacky, then start peeling off. The coatings on silnylon are lifetime.

The tent will be fine, not outstanding, but fine. It is heavier than I would consider for solo use. I wouldn't do anything over 2.5 to 3 lbs for a solo shelter.

The poles on a freestanding tent are dead weight. Get something that can be pitched with trekking poles or cut poles and you'll be weight ahead...trekking poles are multi-use, use them for packing in and packing out, and supporting your shelter in the middle. IMO freestanding is a good idea on bare rock or doing serious mountaineering. Most other times it's unnecessary.

I'll likely be using a DST flat tarp with or without a 6 oz DWR bivy for my sleeping gear depending on forecast this year. 22 oz or so for shelter, pitched with trekking poles.

You could find something a littler lighter than the Summer Moon but for the price (including your friends n' family discount) you really will be just fine and won't find any real major flaws. Best of luck!

I should start by saying last year was my first trip out west. I to get a great discount on Sierra design that was the deciding factor for me last year which turned not so good. I took the summer moon2 to Montana in September. Started out really hot with lots of condensation on the side walls which go up pretty high before the bug net starts. My down quilt was always getting wet at night if I rolled over up against the wall. That was strike one. When it turned cold I still had all the condensation but I didn't have to roll over to get into the wall the sides caved in on me from snow. It didn't take much snow to push the back wall in where the rain fly doesn't cover. 20170919_083048.jpg Right now I looking to get one of the tarptents just haven't decided on which one yet.

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back