Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Road System in Wyoming

Also when in doubt call and ask for the local game warden and/or talk to plowing department, where the county plows or doesn't in part determines if a road is 'maintained' and therefore public. There are a few areas in unit 25 for instance that are not shown on the county map but are actually county roads according to the warden/maintenance team.

I called about a specific road and the warden said I was actually allowed to drive an additional 1/2 mile past where the county map showed access ending, which allowed me to walk in to a huge piece of public.

The WY Game hunt planner has all the county roads from the respective county agencies now on their hunt planner maps. The roads are one of the layers, accessible from a hunt unit legend. They do not show as a layer type from the statewide map that I could find.

Last edited:
The WY Game hunt planner has all the county roads from the respective county agencies now on their hunt planner maps.

It has what the counties have but it isn't 100% accurate, I just checked the stretch of road mentioned above as well as another I know of and it doesn't show either as public. The planner is a great tool but if you are hunting one of the limited public land units and are trying to get to a specific piece of land I would definitely take the time to call a warden or the county.

Call or email the county Road and Bridge Superintendent, they know exactly which roads are public.
The wardens should also know.
The maps all have a disclaimer telling you not to depend on them for absolute clarity on public or private roads.
The Road and Bridge Department will know which roads they maintain as public right of ways.
Wilm is right.

So questions, I've gone through the above and identified the country roads. But does the BLM maintain easements to their blocks of land? If not how do they manage land that they can't access? I know here in WA there are quite of few roads that are open to the public that cross private land that aren't county roads. Do those types of roads exist in WY as well?

There are some easements, my in-laws have one through their property, but no the BLM does not have easements to all of their lands and there are many areas that they are locked out of... there is probably an argument that a BLM peace officer can make to trespass to those lands if they need to, although that is just conjectured based on the fact that I know police have some wiggle room with trespass.

Also to further muddy this issue there are private roads on BLM that you aren't allowed to use, I don't know the specifics on exactly what gives the right by I know OG companies that own roads on public land that aren't open to the public.

Back