MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

WY Unit 16

JosephBrown

Hey all. I lurk very often and don't post much. Has anyone on here tried unit 16. I know the NW portion of the state is notorious for difficult access. I'm trying to do an antelope hunt this fall as I'll be starting pharmacy school next year and won't be able to hunt much. I looked at 16 and 17 on OnX and it looks like there's a decent amount of accessible land. Am I looking at that right or are those units difficult to access public land

My buddy and I hunted it last year. Took 3.5 days to fill two buck tags for a couple guys who had never hunted out west before. My takeaways, use your onxmaps and don't be afraid to put some boot leather down. Both our bucks were taken quite a ways from the public roads, like more than a couple miles.

I hunted it a few years ago on a leftover tag and shot a buck on day 2 or 3, can't remember. Like the others have said; there is access, but you have to park and hike a ways in to find antelope. It is work, but it can be done. The terrain is fairly rough for antelope country so you'd want to be in shape and be prepared to pack the animal out, vs. dragging it to your vehicle. Good luck!

Ive hunted 16 twice. Last year and 2015 if memory serves. First time i went i hit the first week. There were a lot of road hunters, lots of pressure but i managed to put a buck and two does down in 2 days. Last year, we hunted the second week. There was still lots of pressure and the lopes had herded up on private. I was able to kill 2 does many miles in. If i were to hunt this unit again, i think Id go the first week and hump back in the day before the opener and camp deep in the blm. Not too many will put in the miles but every year i go there seems to be a few more intrepid souls that get off the roads.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back