Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Who's huntin WY speed-goats this year?

Why would it be a dumb idea?

Everybody thinks I'll break my leg, or get bitten by a rattlesnake, or lost, or freeze to death in freak polar vortex, etc. Personally, I think its probably just as dangerous to climb 20 feet into my frosted treestand (with my safety harness) a couple miles from home as it is to walk around the high plains of WY solo for 12 hours a day.

We'll it's my first antelope hunt this year. I thought that antelope hunting was pretty much accessible to the old, sick, lame, and even senile but maybe I was wrong. The only reason I chose this to do now when I'm still young and spry is I didn't have anything else planned. Maybe someone more experienced can comment on the dangers of antelope hunting. Don't people base their hunts out of motel 6:)

Everybody thinks I'll break my leg, or get bitten by a rattlesnake, or lost, or freeze to death in freak polar vortex, etc. Personally, I think its probably just as dangerous to climb 20 feet into my frosted treestand (with my safety harness) a couple miles from home as it is to walk around the high plains of WY solo for 12 hours a day.

You'll be fine if you use your noggin'. Most pain I've felt so far hunting pronghorn is cactus in the palm and knee. Enjoy yourself, pronghorn is some of our favorite game meat.

We'll it's my first antelope hunt this year. I thought that antelope hunting was pretty much accessible to the old, sick, lame, and even senile but maybe I was wrong. The only reason I chose this to do now when I'm still young and spry is I didn't have anything else planned. Maybe someone more experienced can comment on the dangers of antelope hunting. Don't people base their hunts out of motel 6:)

In Douglas you could get one without ever leaving your room.

Saw a snake on my first trip there in 1987 south of Newcastle. Have never seen one since, though they're probably around. Worst thing you'll encounter esp. if you creep on the ground is cactus spines.

They say that if you ever get lost, hole up in one of those oil rig huts as they're warm and get checked every day.

In for two solid doe tags, struck out (along with five buddies who also applied for the same tags) in the leftover draw. Got greedy in the leftover, should have stuck with a tried-and-true-leftover unit. Oh well, WY antelope hunting (regardless of doe or buck, trophy unit or leftover) is so much fun, the details don't matter. Looking forward to it!

They say that if you ever get lost, hole up in one of those oil rig huts as they're warm and get checked every day.

I had one of the guys that check those huts tell me that when it gets cool in the fall those huts will either have rattlesnakes or skunks in them, but not both.

After hearing that, I think I would be a lot more concerned about snakes in those huts than out on the prairie. I have traipsed around the northeast WY prairies for over 30 years and can count the number of rattlesnakes I have encountered on one hand. I know they are there, but they are the least of my worries.

ClearCreek

Headed to unit 73 with a buddy. First time to Wyoming. Looking forward to it. A buck and 2 doe tags each.

Got my second choice buck tag and struck out on does. I'll be heading out in September for my first western hunt. Hopefully going solo doesn't turn out to be as dumb of an idea as everyone at home is telling me it is.

That's EXACTLY what people said about my first solo WY hunt in 2016.... I survived AND got my buck!

We drew 23 buck and does. I was surprised to not see someone else with that unit on here considering how easy it is to draw.

I spotted a few in may that I'll be checking on, but think I'll probably find something better.
skyline.jpgchunk2.jpg

We drew 23 buck and does. I was surprised to not see someone else with that unit on here considering how easy it is to draw.

I'm headed out to 23 as well, it's because the public land is limited and the public that there is tends not to be good pronghorn habitat.

Me and my sons drew in Unit 22 for buck tags and have a friend with a 4k+ acre ranch already lined up to hunt on so we are pretty pumped..

Back