How many of you use some sort of shooting aid?

blacksheep

I was wondering. How many of you use shooting sticks, tripod or another type of shooting rest/aid. I see many hunters using tripods for their binos and spotting scopes. I also see hunters with shooting sticks or tripods like bogpods for helping to steady their shot. I ask this because Academy has a closeout on the bogpod tripods. They are marked at $75.00. They also have the bino attachment. Not sure that it is worth the extra 2.5 lbs. Opinions?

blacksheep

I use cheap sticks that make an "X", when needed. I prefer to shoot prone from my pack if terrain and vegetation allow.

I've got the Primos bipod and tripod trigger sticks and they're heavy, but I carry them if I'm not going too far from the truck (less than 5 miles). They come in handy as a walking stick on old roads, and they're a fairly solid rest, but I'm not married to them by any means. I'm looking for a lighter set of sticks, or may just get a big rubber band/leather wrap for trekking poles.

Bipod on the rifle with squeeze bag.

If I cant get a shot there, I use a trigger stick tripod.

I rarely freehand a shot over 100 yards. Shooting sticks or tripod or walking stick or backpack. I have a bi-pod on rifle but usually too much ground clutter to be useful. Will not shoot over 200 yards without a steady rest.

I also have a leveling bubble on the side of my scope and when get settled in behind the scope I back out of the scope a tad to make sure am level with the horizon. On longer shots I tended to notice I was on target up and down but would be off to left or right beyond what wind drift would predict. With the bubble, that issue is put to bed in my case.

I use tripod with spotting scope but if using binos a lot with use my walking stick as my arms get fatigued.

I use a Bog Pod tripod makes the gun rock steady. Also use a monopod in the back if I have time it's like shooting off a bench.

I have the trigger sticks which should be quicker than the bogpod but the bogpods seem to have a higher range of adjustment. No heavier than a tripod if you get the tripod version and they double for optics.

They work but you absolutely need to practice with them. I'm right handed and have good luck resting my right knee on my pack, my right elbow in my right knee solidly. Put your left leg forward to give your left arm a light rest and grip the handle on the trigger sticks solidly with your left hand.

I have a "shooters V' for my tripod head and a Javelin Bipod for prone shots. Seems about half my shots are less than 80 yards and end up being off hand though.

I use a rest with the V as well. It is a tripod where the third leg can be unscrewed. I take it when I am going to be somewhat stationary. Otherwise I will use my pack or steady against tree/rock etc. The only shot I have had to take off hand was the bear I shot last year at about 90-100m. The only reason I had to do that was the buddy i was with was so surprised when he saw the bear that he actually said "Bear!" out loud and I had to shoot it on the move. I will always choose the best rest possible.

I went through 2 Trigger Sticks tripods. They just didn't hold up for me. I really liked the speed of a set up with them, but now switched to Bog Pod tripod. With practice the Bog Pod can be pretty quick. The legs are marked with hash marks. I know where they have to be set for sitting, kneeling, standing shots.

After using a couple of different brands of shooting sticks I now use Easton Cross Shot sticks. They all worked, Easton's are just a little stronger. I almost never collapse them down since I use them as walking sticks also. Great for supporting my 10 power binos and since they are already extended very fast to use as a rifle rest.

I've got the Primos bipod and tripod trigger sticks and they're heavy, but I carry them if I'm not going too far from the truck (less than 5 miles). They come in handy as a walking stick on old roads, and they're a fairly solid rest, but I'm not married to them by any means. I'm looking for a lighter set of sticks, or may just get a big rubber band/leather wrap for trekking poles.

I use the Primos Tripod also like this. I prefer to shoot from the prone off my pack when possible but I use it for a walking stick and it makes for a great rest if I need to clear vegetation.

My wife absolutely loves the Primos shooting sticks I got here some years ago. I finally got a pair for myself and they fell to pieces the first time I tried to use them. I have used crossed walking sticks or ski poles on a few occasions, using the wrist straps to bind them together. I'll also take advantage of any improvised rest that's handy but most of the time I still use the old school shooting sling, especially in the sitting position or on hillsides.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back