Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Kentucky Elk Hunting (Just drew bull tag)

TAArrowood

Hello everyone, I'm new to this site and would like to pick the brains/exteriences of anyone who has hunted elk in Ky. I was just dreawn for a 2nd week bull (firearms) tag an am looking for any possible input from anyone who has actually hunted elk in Ky.. I have hunted elk in the west for 30+ years in several states so I'm not necessarily looking for "here's how elk are different from deer" kinds of comments. I'm looking for thinks to avoid, areas to avoid, DYI vs guided, etc, etc.. Any input is greatly appreciated.. I know this is a super hard tag to draw so I don't want to squander the opportunity only because I haven't done my research and asked questions, etc... This tag has been on my bucket list since the first year Ky started their draw and I've applied every year since...Feel free to offer any advice/comments that you thik would make a difference, especially thisng would do differently if you could get a do-over, thigs you should have considered while making some of your decisions, etc., etc.. I live in Ky and am about 2 hours from the "elk zone", so consider that when commenting (some thigs that you might suggest might be easier/harder for me than they were for you due to distances, etc).. Thanks for any input... Tom... If you would like to text me you can do so at 502-321-1705...

Welcome, congrats on the Tag. Being only 2 hours away you will probably be able to answer most of you own questions on a more local forum and boots on the ground research.

Awesome tag and opportunity! I would say if you're only two hours from the elk zone, your best bet will be boots on the ground. I live in Colorado and am still over two hours from my elk zone. Yet I make the drive as often as I can.

Welcome to the site. You have a great opportunity due to being 2 hours away, especially since you have elk hunting experience and have ample time to drive over occasionally for the next couple months. I look forward to reading about the hunt afterwards.
Good luck and congrats on a hard to get tag!

Haven't hunted here, but my advice would depend on whether you draw a limited entry unit. If one of the good ones, you should be okay to go DIY. If you don't, this would be the one opportunity I'd hire a guide with access to private land. Maybe not for a cow tag or archery tag, but your window is very limited and the public land pressure is significant in the at-large areas, and you'll be hunting with the limited visibility of foliage.

I hunted in 2016 with a bull archery tag. My friend drew the same tag in 2017. I applied for, and was successful at getting in an LEA area. He got the same LEA as me. If nothing else, it really helped me narrow down where to scout and approach the hunt. Don't listen to the naysayers who will say the population is down, etc. There were a lot of bulls all over the place.

I just thawed out my last roast and steaks for dinner this week.....it's a sad sad day.

2nd week firearms will be interesting after all the archery and 1st week action. I couldn't afford a guide, so I couldn't tell you what to expect there. I do know that the guides I ran into while down there were not my favorite people to be around. If you can afford it, more power to you. There's been some shady characters calling themselves "guides" down there and getting into trouble for it. Be careful who you hire, if you go that route.

I found the most help talking to locals and getting to know a couple guys on the Kentucky hunting forum. The local guys were awesome people and really helped me out. The local butcher stayed open late so I could get the meat in a freezer.

Expect to wear gaiters or some sort of rain pants most of the time or just have soaked pants. If you've never hunted in those reclaimed areas, they are thick and nasty and overgrown, and seem to never dry out in the mornings.

Buy a deer tag, and a fall turkey tag if its legal. We saw a lot of both.

Don't hang out near old buildings on dead end roads in the coal mines. Strange cars will ride your bumper until you turn around and head on out of there. People will steal your poop shovel. Take a four-wheeler if you have one. Everyone else will be on one.

The bulls were very very vocal, but the fog in the mornings really screws up range finders.

Don't shoot 360" bulls in the shoulder or you'll still tear up when you think about it.

I never researched the at large area, or public land. We were on private/leased to the state of Kentucky for hunting - coal mine land.

The bulls were much easier to find than the cows for some reason.

They didn't seem to like the steep hollows any more than we did. They would just walk down out of the open hillsides about 50 yards and bed down in adjacent thick cover.

Call and email the biologists and property managers, they gave up a lot of info on where to find elk, what they liked to eat, where they liked to bed, etc. Even specific roads and drainages to check out. They were my best resource by far!

Feel free to message me if you have any more questions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back