Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Boot Insulation

SFN2821

Looking for thoughts/experience on boot insulation. I tend to run a little cold but don't think I've perfected my sock layering yet either. Looking for the all around boot that will take care of most seasons, primarily late seasons, in the east and the west. Debating between 200g and 400g insulation.

Fire away! Thanks All.

Depends a lot on your hunting style. I run uninsulated boots year round and my feet never get cold. That said, I'm usually hiking around a lot and I'm sure my feet would be cold if I was doing a ton of sitting. (Hunting in CO, WY, MT primarily)

Fair point i should have addressed. I would say I'm probably the in between. Some days I'm more stationary... others I'm more moving.

I found that too much insulation caused my feet to sweat, then they got cold. I now use 200 grams of insulation in my Crispi Hunter boots, along with a Kenetrek Ultimate Liner Sock, and Kenetrek Alaska wool socks. My feet don't sweat, and they stay warm whether I am sitting and glassing or walking. I hunt the 2nd Rifle season in Colorado or 2nd week of October in New Mexico.

My feet get cold standing around after hiking. I use 400 inls. & have not been cold yet. Have not suffered from overheating either walking. Wearing Lowa Tibet superwarm last 3 yrs.Excellent boots.
Uninsulated til the cold hits.Lowa Camino now.Excellent boot.

My feet have stayed warmer since I switched to uninsulated boots with good socks. If you are stationary for hours on end, a good pack boot is about all that will keep your feet warm.

I use uninsulated for all of my hunting as well, including late season backpacking. There is A LOT that goes into how your feet feel--overall hydration, boot fit, foot swelling, metabolism, clothing system, diet changes, fatigue, etc. I've ice climbed quite a lot and would regularly day crag with uninsulated boots. You have to know how your whole system and body work together. I think people tend to isolate feet/boots from everything else, but that's not how it works. The difference between 200g and 400g is generally going to be trumped by all the factors I mentioned above.
On the coldest backpack trips, I use an "un" or minimally insulated boot with a removable toe warmer to get going in the am while my metabolism and daytime temps are warming up for the day. The responsiveness and fit of an uninsulated boot pays dividends over days to me. YMMV

I run uninsulated throughout the year but generally my last hunt of the season is 3rd rifle in CO and that is close to the front range so it's not terribly cold. My boots are also pretty well padded and that seems to keep things warmer. My feet do get cold occasionally but I used to spend ~100 days/yr in ski boots so it doesn't bother me a ton to have cold feet. From my experience, I wouldn't "layer" socks. I like a good, thin merino compression sock. The compression sock definitely helps with blood flow and keeping it thin enough to aid in blood flow is key. If you think you'll be in a lot of snow I'd go Goretex or something similar and probably no more than 400g insulation.

I would say the 400 gram. I think 200 may not be enough for sitting. Also get a good sock system that allows the moisture to wick .

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammerg
Back