Best things done to improve hunting shooting

crock239

Would be interested to hear best tips / practices to improve shooting in hunting situations

For me, I started shooting local 3d events several times through the summer / early fall.... I don't shoot for competition scores I shoot for good arrow placement in hunting situations and it has helped tremendously with getting the sight picture right and shooting at live game.

Our events you walk a trail in the woods, then shoot one arrow at each target... Often dealing with tight windows in brush, various ranges and shot angles, uphill/downhill, different animals, mosquitoes, heart rate up a bit from the hiking, pressure from someone looking over your shoulder, etc

I mean where else in Iowa am I going to shoot a B&C antelope at 52 yds?!? Also took a great whitetail and elk in the same day! ;)

3D events shooting in front of people will help you for sure. Im a big fan of putting up treestands in the woods and practicing from them. Get you a deer on a cart and move it around the treestand to practice all angles and distances.

Practice shooting straight down.

I know several guys who have missed chip shots straight down and less than 5 yards but they are able to pinwheel the target at 80 yards all summer.....

Tune your bow out to 80 yards....but know where your bow hits at ALL ranges you plan to hunt.

Not patting myself on the back here but I have missed very few deer over the years and my kill to wounding rate is pretty impressive. Recovered 15 bucks shot with bow, 1 clean miss and 1 wounded (Shoulder shot deer survived and was killed on opener of rifle).

Practice has helped me with this percentage for sure.

Last edited:
Get some professional lessons. Helped me in archery and rifle.

I picked up a scott longhorn hex this year with my new bow, that has made a huge difference when I actually use it like you should.

Draw like a regular wrist release but have the built in surprise factor of a hinge. I have never shot better... And 3D's are great too, and sniping a ground squirrel or 10 is even better! And when hunting I always have one blunt arrow and a few extra heads in the pack to take occasional practice shots into creek banks, etc.

Besides 3D shoots without using a rangefinder and practicing all summer long at long distance, the best thing I ever do is stand 5 feet in front of a couple targets, draw my bow, close my eyes and practice on perfect form and release. That really helps me whenever I get a little target panic.

Johnson County Archers Association puts on the events... Range is at Lake Macbride north of Iowa City. Check the JCA website for the schedule - they usually post it late spring. There's probably something similar that might be closer to you too in the Des Moines area.

I would say getting a good shooting partner makes you shoot more and makes it more fun. I introduced my girlfriend to archery and she enjoys it now. Makes me shoot more often because she wants to.

Shooting archery everyday is my biggest help. Shooting 3D targets, shooting outside, shooting in the trees and at different angles are also important. Practicing at longer distances too.

3D events shooting in front of people will help you for sure. Im a big fan of putting up treestands in the woods and practicing from them. Get you a deer on a cart and move it around the treestand to practice all angles and distances.

Practice shooting straight down.

I know several guys who have missed chip shots straight down and less than 5 yards but they are able to pinwheel the target at 80 yards all summer.....

Tune your bow out to 80 yards....but know where your bow hits at ALL ranges you plan to hunt.

Not patting myself on the back here but I have missed very few deer over the years and my kill to wounding rate is pretty impressive. Recovered 15 bucks shot with bow, 1 clean miss and 1 wounded (Shoulder shot deer survived and was killed on opener of rifle).

Practice has helped me with this percentage for sure.

When I first started bow hunting I made that exact mistake of not practicing the straight down shots. Missed a deer that was standing under my treestand on a morning hunt. That same evening, I killed a groundhog at 45yrds that was digging holes in our food plot. I had practiced the long shots to where I was excellent but never the close up shots at that point.

I did the whole 3D thing when I first started cause I heard that was the thing to do. I found it to be completely useless for me. As soon as I stopped doing that and started practicing more in my real world hunting situations, I got better. Practicing from a treestand was important, but practicing enough that everything was second nature was the key for me.

I did the whole 3D thing when I first started cause I heard that was the thing to do. I found it to be completely useless for me. As soon as I stopped doing that and started practicing more in my real world hunting situations, I got better. Practicing from a treestand was important, but practicing enough that everything was second nature was the key for me.

I'd be curious what type of 3D you were shooting? I personally find the walk-through courses to be quite realistic. Most of them have a few tower shots to simulate treestands and plenty of brushy/wooded shots. IMO I think they are a decent real world example.

I couldn't agree with your "...second nature..." comment enough though. No matter what you're doing, that is key.

I'd be curious what type of 3D you were shooting? I personally find the walk-through courses to be quite realistic. Most of them have a few tower shots to simulate treestands and plenty of brushy/wooded shots. IMO I think they are a decent real world example.

I couldn't agree with your "...second nature..." comment enough though. No matter what you're doing, that is key.

They were the walk around type in the woods. No towers at the ones I shot at.

Well I am torn on this a little bit.

I took al on time off on archery hunting. Didn't do much in college and then for my first 5-6 years here in Iowa right after I graduated I got into duck hunting because I had a great dog. Pick it back up about 10 years ago and it has slowly taken over my hunting passion. I still do the other stuff just not as great.

In 2007 I picked up a new bow. I was money with that bow for the first 5-6 years simply didn't miss. I would pick the thing up and shoot it a few times before the season.

That last few years I started to shoot more and more. Then I started to listen archery podcast and really tried to get better at my craft, with that I started to have more and more misses. I didn't know target panic existed until I started to learn about it. It is almost like my brain got me into a little bit of target panic because I was reading and listening so much about it.

Now I am on a path to try to become the best archery shot I can. I am trying to relearn to be better. Hopefully I am better in the long run than I was in the beginning.

Most of what I am trying to learn is by listening and watching John Dudleys stuff on youtube, instagram and podcasts. He is an archery master.

Cool. Thanks for the context @N2TRKYS. I can see how that would be unrealistic. Key takeaway for OP is to practice, practice, practice in real world scenarios. Good thread!

Last edited:
Great thoughts and ideas here. I recently picked up a 3d whitetail target of my own... Will probably grab a buddy and haul it out to my favorite tree stand and do some practice shots from there.... And include some straight down shooting... I agree that's one I have not practiced much!

Focus on archery basics- proper adjusted equipment and shooting form. Then progress from there.

Add a kisser button and a sight with a level if you don't do that already. Also, as you draw your bow, if you use a peep which I will assume you do, try and get one or add an insert that matches closely the diameter of your sight ring as you look through your peep at full draw. All of these things help with consistency. Kisser to the corner of your mouth, string on the tip of your nose, check for cant in your bow with your level at full draw, center your sight ring in the center of your peep at full draw...at this point, if properly sighted in, put pin on target and release. Avoid the death grip on the riser, your draw should be a combination of push with your riser hand and pull with your release arm. Finally, follow through. I firmly believe no amount of 3d shoots, judging distance, etc. will ever make you a better shot if you show lack of consistency in your form.

Back