Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Vortex Razor Spotting Scope

SDS14

Good Morning Fellow Hunters:

Right now I have been saving my money for new camo and an HD Spotting scope. I really like the Vortex Razor spotting scopes. But I am on the fence on whether to get the 65mm or the 85mm objective lens. I attached the the specs between the the 85 and 65 scope. I noticed that the 85mm is 8 oz more than the 65mm and has a stronger magnification. My question is why would you want a 65mm over an 85mm and vice versa? My style of hunting consist of park truck at trailhead and hike, eventually I would like to get into backpack hunting down the road.

Thanks for your help and educating me on optics.

-SDS14

Razor Specs.jpg

As far as the size goes I recently bought one and went with a 65 because I'll be backpacking and just don't feel I need that extra weight/length/magnification as I'm not counting points just looking for game. Really when it comes down to it I think the 65 is better for backpacking and when you aren't counting points or looking to see if something is legal (ex Determining legality of a ram) but if you won't be back packing often and will be using it out of a car or for day trips I'd go with the extra magnification. Just a heads up the older models are on sale a fair amount on camofire if you have the time to wait and see.

Its just personal preference. For carrying in a backpack then? I would use something in 65mm range. The 85 doesn't just weight more it is also larger and requires a heavier tripod. Try and handle the two in a store.

Ive got the Vortex Razon and bought the 85mm over the 65mm. I dont mind the extra weight but I felt the light capture in low light was significant in my opinion. I have the older model razor (grey and green model) but upon comparing the newer 85 to the older one, I couldnt see any noticeable improvement. You may want to look at getting the older model as you can pick them up for around $900 from anyone that still has one in stock.

I bought the 65mm Razor 2 years ago and it has worked out great for me. It does everything I need and more. I don't think I would want to pack around a 85mm unless I was hunting really open country and looking at critters several miles away. As mentioned above there are some killer deals on the older models if you do a little internet searching.

I have a HD model Razor (not the new model but only 3 years old) and it hasn't been that bad to pack around. I typically don't pack it in on backpack hunts just because I don't really need it for what and where I hunt. But if I'm going to pack it I'd rather it be the big boy than a smaller one, the image is just better. I am actually looking to sell mine if you are interested, you can get a 85mm for less than the 65mm!

Good Morning Fellow Hunters:

Right now I have been saving my money for new camo and an HD Spotting scope. I really like the Vortex Razor spotting scopes. But I am on the fence on whether to get the 65mm or the 85mm objective lens. I attached the the specs between the the 85 and 65 scope. I noticed that the 85mm is 8 oz more than the 65mm and has a stronger magnification. My question is why would you want a 65mm over an 85mm and vice versa? My style of hunting consist of park truck at trailhead and hike, eventually I would like to get into backpack hunting down the road.

Thanks for your help and educating me on optics.

-SDS14

View attachment 83888

Back