Colorado 1st season rifle

Mtolliver

Drew 1st season rifle in Colorado gmu 62. Iv done a butt load of research and have where I’m going to hunt narrowed down to a few places. Just wondering if anyone on here might have any info on the unit and if I should avoid where I’m planning on hunting. Would really appreciate any info. Thanks guys!

I've hunted 62. I would avoid the top of the plateau and the areas with ATV trails, there are a ton. Hint: use the USFS MVUM function in the hunt atlas.

I only have one elk hunt in my life and it was last season, archery in 62 so I’m no authority on the unit. After doing a lot of google earth scouting of the area I hunted I was not prepared for the incredible amount of thick nasty oak brush. It was almost impossible to penetrate into most of the area we hunted. There were a lot of other hunters and atv’s as our hunt overlapped with muzzleloader. We struggled to find any glassing areas to give us any advantage. That being said, there were elk there. I have no idea how the hell they get through that oak brush but they do. When we did finally find a glassing spot that let us see the other side of the canyon we were on, we spotted 2 small group of elk. Ran out of time before we could find a way to get at them. All elk we saw were less than a mile from trails or roads. Just in really nasty stuff. I only saw a small area of 62 and I know it’s a big unit so I’m sure the terrain must vary. Also the elk we saw would move down from the plateau’s in the early morning toward the bottoms of the canyon and I assume back up as evening set in. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info, I knew the oak brush was going to be an obsticale. Did you hunt anywhere near the wilderness area?

I don't know a thing about GMU 62, but what I do know that unless the weather changes for the better, the Southern half of Colorado will be dry, or dried up! We are in a severe drought in the State this year. I just returned from a short pack trip, and have been watching the Springs and Creeks that normally in other years have a decent amount of water coming in them. It's far less this year. Hopefully that will change, but if it doesn't, I'd be scouting where the game can get water. In some areas, maybe not a problem, but in Southcentral Colorado, it could be a major factor? I was interested in hunting over a wallow in Sept. but before season, I'll check it out to see if it's dry or what?

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back