South end Pioneer Mountains Montana

devon deer

After hunting deer/elk to the south of Dillon in 2016, I am focussing on the Pioneer mountains to the North of Dillon this time.
Any advice would be very welcome, I am zoning in one one particular area.
We were told last time we came over by a warden that there were no grizzly bears near Blacktail Creek south of Dillon, (I was a little sceptical) so just wondering if there are many in the pioneers?
I guess get away from the roads/trails will work as well here as in any place, we don't mind hiking back in.
It will be 2 or 3 days after the rifle opener.
Or any good fly fishing spots, I love fly fishing as much as I do hunting!
As usual just general advice, I would never expect anyone to divulge their 'special' hunt places.
Thanks
Richard

The roads in Blacktail can get very rough during winter/freeze. Make sure you have chains.

As for griz, I would not be suprised to see them. There are griz in the centennials next door and they've been seen in the bighole. That being said, I'm not overly concerned about them.

Also, fwiw, Blacktail feels like a community spot.

I wouldn't expect to see a griz in the Pioneer Mountains, but the Beaverhead Deerlodge National Forest does have a food handling policy that you'll need to follow. Much of the Pioneers are still hunting country. It's big country. Have fun!

Thanks chaps, I can't wait, looking at Google Earth I am started to narrow things down a bit.
As for chains, I don't have them as we are using a rental car.
Cheers
Richard

The Pioneers are not really an established grizzly area. However, a guy got charged by one near Wisdom in 2016, so there's always a chance that one is wandering through there. Just like in more known grizzly areas- keep a clean camp, hang your food in a tree away from your tent and carry spray and/or firearm.

As for fishing, there will be plenty of great trout water to keep you busy between the Big Hole and it's tributaries. If you are coming in late October there probably won't be much happening as far as dry flies, but browns will be getting ready to spawn and ripping streamers will be the ticket.

You'll be next to one of the famed trout waters - the Big Hole. It should be a good water year and fall is prime for browns and big brookies there. PM incoming.

It’s some heavy timber in the Pioneers, and I would think the elk would be moving only after dark, especially since your hunting after the opener. That’s what I have figured out. Should be some great fishing, and sections of the Big Hole have grayling I believe. Safe travels

For fishing, try the Beaverhead River, Big Hole River, Poindexter's Slough, and Wise River. I'm not very familiar with the south Pioneers, but I know a spot or two in the north Pioneers that are elky and we're located just over the pass. Shoot me a message this Fall and maybe we can meet up?

Not sure why one of our wardens would say they wernt there....A grizzly was accidently shot just outside the Blacktail campground a couple yrs back during spring bear season. A large collared male spent the summer on blacktail ridge a couple summers back...they are for sure present around Dillon. They have been reported in every Mnt range around Dillon, so don't be surprised to see one

I would re-think using a rental car. None of the roads that get u into elk country are car friendly.

Plenty of good fishing in Sept as stated...Bighole, Beaverhead, upper grasshopper, Ruby rivers....Madison River is only a tad over an hr away

Last edited:
I have replied to your pm, just waiting for your reply.
tried to send you a pm. clear your inbox. good fishing in the big hole, you will have a blast.

Thanks, it would be really cool to catch a Grayling as we have them here in the UK
It’s some heavy timber in the Pioneers, and I would think the elk would be moving only after dark, especially since your hunting after the opener. That’s what I have figured out. Should be some great fishing, and sections of the Big Hole have grayling I believe. Safe travels

It was in 2016, he was aware of one that had been there a few years ago, he did also say to be bear aware so he did his job.
I always store food as required and carry bear spray.

Sadly we have no option renting a car as we are flying in from the UK, I agree it's not ideal but we have to work with it.

Thanks for the advice on rivers, I have fished the Madison before, awesome river.
Not sure why one of our wardens would say they wernt there....A grizzly was accidently shot just outside the Blacktail campground a couple yrs back during spring bear season. A large collared male spent the summer on blacktail ridge a couple summers back...they are for sure present around Dillon. They have been reported in every Mnt range around Dillon, so don't be surprised to see one

I would re-think using a rental car. None of the roads that get u into elk country are car friendly.

Plenty of good fishing in Sept as stated...Bighole, Beaverhead, upper grasshopper, Ruby rivers....Madison River is only a tad over an hr away

Cheers

Richard

Devon Deer
How did you elk hunt go this past fall? I am planning on taking a trip this fall out to the pioneers during the rifle season just curious if you had any luck. Or any advice for a first time elk hunter?

Thanks

The only griz I've seen in the wild was in the south Pioneers. That was in early summer and he was grazing like a big cow. I've seen several black bears in there as well. It is certainly some awesome country. I love the Pioneers. One of the best things about it is how much is roadless. If you're willing to wear out some boot tread, you can get away from other hunters. I've mostly hunted east of the byway. There are lots of elk in pockets, but it can be hit or miss, definitely.

After hunting deer/elk to the south of Dillon in 2016, I am focussing on the Pioneer mountains to the North of Dillon this time.
Any advice would be very welcome, I am zoning in one one particular area.
We were told last time we came over by a warden that there were no grizzly bears near Blacktail Creek south of Dillon, (I was a little sceptical) so just wondering if there are many in the pioneers?
I guess get away from the roads/trails will work as well here as in any place, we don't mind hiking back in.
It will be 2 or 3 days after the rifle opener.
Or any good fly fishing spots, I love fly fishing as much as I do hunting!
As usual just general advice, I would never expect anyone to divulge their 'special' hunt places.
Thanks
Richard
Hey man new to this thread/forum but recently read through you threads and in the same boat you once were. Best I could do not being from the region Ive been putting in hours of online E-scouting and gathering info on east/west pioneer mt ranges. I am willing to put in effort and get away from potential crowds both hunting pressure and general hikers etc. Wondering if you could PM me (or reply here not sure how all this works) and discuss how your hunt went, learning points, or any other advice you're willing to share with a young lad trying to learn!

Thanks,
Jacob

I am willing to put in effort and get away from potential crowds both hunting pressure and general hikers etc.
There you go, you are already on your way to a successful hunt
BTW, I am not a local either, I live in the UK so what do I know :ROFLMAO:
Good luck
Richard

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back