Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Clothes for Late September Elk Hunt in Central Idaho

dmcrobb12

Hey guys and girls,

I have a elk hunting trip planned in the pioneer zone this September (13th to 29th). Right now I plan on packing 150g merino t-shirt, pair of shorts, 190g merino pant and long sleeve base layer, 230g merino pant and long sleeve base layer, firstlite corrugate guide pant and jacket (if they ever become available again), the sawtooth insulated vest, 3 pairs of socks, underwear toque and hat. I'm just worried I wont have enough insulation if we run into cold temps, I'm just not sure how common it is that we'll run into freezing temperatures. I usually try and plan for the unexpected which is good but I usually end up overpacking and bringing in too much extra weight.

So my question is what do you have in your pack for a backpack hunt in central Idaho?

Thanks,

Donnie

It can vary so widely year by year it will really be hard to predict until it gets within the forecast window. If I remember right, last year fires were raging and it was hot up until early/mid September, then it snowed a bunch mid/late September. I would definitely plan on taking something that you could be comfortable in down to below freezing temperatures, it can and does happen. Especially if you're up in the higher parts of that zone. I know you're backpacking and every ounce matters but it's better to have and not need.

I usually do the Lemhi Zone (neighboring zone) at the same time of year. Rdog's right, the weather can be extremely variable that time of year; I've been when it's upper 70's-low 80's during the day, and in the same trip a cold front will come through and lows drop below freezing at nights.

Looks like you're into the First Lite gear as am I. My kit includes, a cheap pair of camo pants (although I hope to get some Obsidian's this year), a Chama 230g shirt, a Halstead fleece, an Uncompahgre vest, and a North Branch jacket. Mixing and matching with that setup keeps me comfortable through that wide range of weather.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back