Sierra Designs Sleeping Bags

KayakMacGyver

Would like some input from others on Sierra Designs camping gear. Particularly, I'd like to know if anyone has used their bags and what your opinions were. I get a good deal on their stuff and am looking at the Nitro 800 0 degree bag for a mid September high country archery elk hunt in Colorado. I'm a Florida boy and dont handle cold well, especially at night. So, I BELIEVE the 0 degree bag is what I need. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

For those with experience, were you happy with the quality of the bags?

Sierra Designs makes good stuff,or did.
My thoughts have always been it is easier to be able to cool off in a warm bag,but almost impossible to warm up in a cold bag.

That bag specs as a 15D face with 26 oz of 800 fill down. The EN limit is 2° and the EN comfort rating is 15°.

It's comparable to a Western Mountaineering Antelope MF bag which is rated for 5°, but has 20D face fabric, and 26 oz of 850+ fill down. The WM should be quite a bit warmer.

I'd say it'll be a fine bag, especially at a discount. I wouldn't trust it to take you to 0° comfortably though, probably more like 15°.

Thanks Rock Chucker for the great comparable! I don't anticipate night temps to dip below 15, but you never know till ya go I suppose.

I've used a Sierra Designs Zissou 6 (discontinued model I think) in Colorado and Arizona during that same time of year and it is has been a good bag. A zero degree bag should be the ticket for that time of year. I think you would be happy with that one for your hunt.

I bought their mobile mummy 15 degree 800+ and LOVE IT. I have taken it below 15 degrees and with a hand warmer in the bottom and a silk liner, I was pretty happy. I was really impressed with the design of the bag. I have had my eye on one of their backcountry beds for the last year as well (really cool design). I would highly recommend Sierra Designs.

Sweet. Sounds like happy customers and I wont be disappointed. Appreciate all the solid input.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back