Caribou Gear

How to Get Close w/ Bow

Brachii

This year will be my first attempt at archery hunting-- wyoming in september. I'm curious as to the more experienced guys' and gals' methods of closing the distance on deer. Are doe calls effective, specifically in September before the rut? Is it maybe best to gauge a deer's moving pattern and try to cut him off as he's going between bed and feed? Anyone got other advice? Thanks!

However you need to or can. Stalk in their bed, ambush, cut them off. I wouldn’t try calling myself.

Does calling not work well for Muley's?

I have been really successful in the last two years, scary successful actually on whitetails. Two years ago I rattle at a buck. I could only see his legs and could tell he was refreshing a scrape. He didn't come in but my biggest buck of my life came in from the other direction. You can tell when they are coming into a call vs just coming in.

Last year I grunted two bucks to the same stand. I killed one on Thursday and my 12 year old killed one on Sunday morning.

Watch the deer's patterns and see how many times it switches beds. Do a lot of glassing and look for bystanders that could blow your stalk. Let the deer settle into its bed and start making a stalking route to allow you to start closing the distance without being seen. Be prepared for failure. Stalk slow. cutting of deer on their travels is difficult especially if the wind will not allow you to get into position without the deer smelling you. ALWAYS keep the wind in your favor, this obstacle should always determine if the stalk is doable. Be prepared for failure! For every one stalk in to the "red zone" (for me thats 40 yards), I usually have 5-7 stalks that don't make it that close. Take your time and most of all have fun!

If the conditions are able I have had great luck taking my boots off and slipping on some wool socks for the last couple hundred yards. Slows me way down as I have to be careful not to step on cactus, as well as quieter with the sock compared to the boots. Definitely make sure that you mark where you left your boots though! Have heard of guys walking out of the hunt with no boots on.

Calling for mulies will do you no favors, except maybe in November.

Be prepared for a lot of blown stalks as stated.

As a two year mule deer newbie myself, I can say that the few things that have helped me the most are as follows:

1. If you don't have good wind, don't even try. If there's a quartering wind, they'll most likely smell you. Even if you think you're hidden, you'll hear them stomping away before you're even close.

2. Stay off of the skyline. They will see you. And they won't be there for long.

3. Once you plan an approach (without skylining and with good wind), BE PATIENT. When you're in stalk mode everything will seem like it's taking forever, but it'll probably only have been 5 minutes. I've blown a bunch of opportunities because I thought I had been waiting forever when it had only been a short amount of time. The stalk is going to seem like it takes eons to complete, but if you stay composed and force yourself to slow down even more you'll be more successful.

4. Keep a positive attitude. You're most likely going to be horrible when you first start spot and stalk. I personally make it more about the adventure than killing something, because if I didn't, my mind would tell me that I just wasted days trying to kill an animal that is a ghost instead of exploring creation and having an adventure. This mindset may change eventually (or maybe not?), but probably not that quickly.

If a deer is bedded, it can be more alert to it's surroundings. It's less distracted. If it is grazing, head is down, it's feeding, time to time checking around, but preoccupied. It doesn't matter stalking bedded, feeding, or ambushing a travel route, it's very challenging and fun. Enjoy it, it's difficult which makes the victory that much sweeter. Stated above, if wind isn't right, don't try, or back out if needed. Wait for things to be in your favor on the mountain the best they can be.

Lots of good info already stated, can't stress the wind enough. Only thing I can add is if the wind will allow it, putting the sun in their face will be another tool to your advantage. Getting a pattern down and ambushing has been the most successful for me, never had any luck with calls. Get out and practice your butt off coming to full draw in awkward positions and make sure you can come to a full draw with minimal movement. Even if you have to turn your bow down, you'll want to avoid any additional movements when coming to full draw. You can get away with some of that extra movement in a stand or blind, but it's a different ball game on the ground. Good luck!

Back