MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Trekking poles

Elkhunter24

Looking to buy a good set of Trekking poles. Any suggestions? I don't know much about them but I think they would be nice for packing meat out.

Thanks
Scott

I recommend black diamond trail back flick lock aluminum poles. They’re much cheaper than many, but still more expensive as some, and hold up for several years of torture.
I’d steer clear of Leki. My $120 set failed the first time out and customer service wouldn’t do anything. I just threw them away.

I would echo Black Diamond brand. The chouce then becomes aluminum or carbon fiber which really is a price/weight decision. They are extremely helpful on uneven terrain. My ortho doc insisted that I use them post-op.....I did and now use at least one most of the time. It doubles as a bino rst as well.

I just got some from Cascade Mountain Tech on Amazon. Aluminum, cork handles, flick locks, $22. Not sure what improvements I would make to them to justify spending more money.

I also have the trail backs. I also had some kelty poles that were cheaper and inherently strong. But they have twist locks. One of them is stuck and the other i misadjusted so it snapped in two. So I bought the trail backs.

Like Gomer I've found the cheaper BD poles stand up. I've had and broken a lot of poles, I bet I still have 4 or 5 singles left around due to breaking their buddy. I continue to buy ultralight poles for spring and summer hikes, knowing their lifespan will be a couple of seasons tops. My favorite high performance pole is the Gossamer Gear Light Trek's, but they won't hold up to packing meat.

I have Leki but don't use them much but when I do I'm glad I bought the snap-lock version. This year a swift creek took one away and I think the Black Diamond are on my list of replacements

I wasn't sure if I'd trekking poles or not - I bought this pair and they are awesome, and have used them packing out two different animals coming down extremely steep terrain and they supported my full weight several times due to terrain. I figured at the cost at first, I would find out what I like and don't like about them and get an upgraded (more expensive) set later. They run up in price to so much more as I'm sure you have seen. Friends have more expensive pairs and I don't know the difference between them, but they work also. I prefer the expandable versus the elastic pull apart.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L2HYPNW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had some Eastons I got on camofire, lasted about 5 years. Now I'm on my Black diamonds.

I just got some from Cascade Mountain Tech on Amazon. Aluminum, cork handles, flick locks, $22. Not sure what improvements I would make to them to justify spending more money.

We just picked up two sets of those locally and have been using them at the cabin for the hike up the hill to turn the spring water on. So far, so good, but need to get a little more use before October.

I have the Cascade Mountain's that I picked up at our local Costco. For the price $30, they are hard to beat. I've used them for hunting/scouting/shed hunting the past two seasons and have had no issues. I like how you can adjust their size as well. I need it for my shelter. If you are just getting into using trekking poles, then these would be what I would start with.

The Cascade Mtns I just grabbed @ Costco for $30 are carbon fiber, have quick cam locks (avoid twist locks) snow and small baskets, cork grips, 4 sets of feet. And they are light. Doubt I'll ever need another pair.

Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork with the Black Diamond rubber tips on the tips.

I'm not light (225#) and these things really help when I'm stumbling over blowdowns and deadfall. I've put an awful lot of weight on them while going up, over and through some of that stuff and they've only slipped once. Nothing that wiping down the shaft (making it dust-free) and cranking another round into the tightening screw didn't cure.

I really like the rubber tips in lieu of the steel-pointed ski poles tips they come with. At first I was nervous about them falling off but after 5 months of use in all kinds of soil, rock and wood conditions, I've yet to lose one. They are much quieter than the steel points on rocks too.

Can't imagine doing what we do without trekking poles.

I have to get some trekking poles. I’ll be looking at Black Diamond from all the comments.

I second Focus except o dont ise the rubber tips. Bought my BDs on EBay last year for my first elk hunt in in Idaho coming from WI. Love em. Just be careful in rock slides, they like to get stuck and that makes for an interesting descent.

Black Diamond here. I'm only 36 and in pretty good shape, I would use them all the time! Not just when hauling meat out. They say trekking poles relieves 20-30% of the load you're carrying and I believe that completely. Your body feels much better after using trekking poles. I got the Kifaru gun bearer and life is good!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back