Caribou Gear

How long?

Mudranger1

So it's been a rough week around here...last Saturday we had to put our big fella down and 3 days later got hit with a massive hail storm.. I try to remain positive as I know things could still be much worse. Just curious as to how long yall wait to replace a furry friend. The wife has been taking it pretty hard but keeps wavering back and forth...I'm like we dont need another dog for a while. He was a pretty great dog that loved people and 1 other dog...he pretty much tried to eat any other dog that came close around...they were best buds though.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1529129539493.jpg
    FB_IMG_1529129539493.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 462
  • FB_IMG_1528601461186.jpg
    FB_IMG_1528601461186.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 462
  • FB_IMG_1529129266149.jpg
    FB_IMG_1529129266149.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 458
  • 20170101_202450.jpg
    20170101_202450.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 456
I’m very sorry for your loss.

In my opinion, it’s time when the new dog is no longer a replacement. Your mileage will vary on how long that will take.

I lost my wing man a few months ago. I’m ready for a new sidekick but have a couple trips coming up and will wait until they are over. This has been the longest I have gone without a dog since I was born. It’s going to be hard to replace this long face.
089E8304-8AA1-4A01-B74E-EED8C5003AC5.png

Sorry about your loss. I’m a tough guy until it comes down to a dog.

We try to plan ahead and have the oldster bringing up the youngster before it's too late. It's about time to start thinking about this again.

A%20&%20A%20wrestling%202.jpg

Sorry about your loss. Lost my girl a couple months ago...Still not used to the quiet.
I'm really thinking of getting on a waiting list for a WPG so I would be on that particular breeder's time frame.
Not sure I can wait that long...

Sorry about your loss man....I think it hurts more to lose a good dog than a lot of people. My current Golden is just turning 9 and I can't even imagine not having her at home. I do know that whenever the time comes it won't be a long period of time, just enough to really grieve. I spent 5 years in Europe without a dog and it sucked. I won't ever get in that situation again. Unconditional love and acceptance are something you can't put a price on. Spent some time with just the little one and see how it feels.

That sucks! They truly are part of the family. The memories and love that they give and leave behind are amazing.

Get a new one when you feel ready. Our cocker spaniel is 12 now and he's quickly starting to get old fast.. He's not there yet but I don't think it's going to be long.

141204_0001.jpg

It's amazing how attached we get to our pets. When we had to put down our one eyed girl Jasmine we were devastated. That was a little over a year ago. I don't think there is a set amount of time. You'll know when the time is right.
I told my wife when the time is right the right dog will just come along. In April my son had a co-worker who's dog had pups and now we have our hands full with a new family member. It's just a mutt but we love him just the same.

Our dogs and one cat over the years have all been rescues. Never more than one dog plus one cat at a time. Never replaced the cat.

We waited a year after we had to put down the first dog. Waited 4 months the next time. Probably on our last dog. We are getting older and with a dog typically living to be 12 or more years then there is a chance we both go before the next dog would. Sorry for you loss.

I have always waited and 'MOURNED' a dogs lost for a couple of months minimum. When my last Lab passed it was very hard and decided to get another dog to help take my mind off of the loss as soon as possible, which was about 5-6 weeks. I still miss all my Labs and this brings tears to my eyes just writing, but for me it was the best thing I did.I have always had dogs and always will, my current dog is a rescue, lab and coon hound I think named Moe, of course!

Sorry you're going through this right now. It's never easy but you will know when you are ready.
Sometimes it's nice to wait to let the memories build up and sometimes that right dog comes by soon after. For me it depends on the season as I like to get pups in the spring. Jack, the dog in my avatar, is going to be 14 in January. How he keeps on going I don't know.

Can’t answer that, won’t even try. But I will respond. Look in the paper, go to the pound. Look about online. I think the right pup will find you, probably when you least expect it.
I put my girl down on Memorial Day weekend in 2004. I have not gotten over her yet. More and more often I think it might be time. If I had recovered more quickly I might have had a lifetime with another pal by now. I keep her pictures hidden because they make me cry, the irony is unsettling. I’ve done myself, and my girl, an injustice by waiting so long. Soon my heart will be ready.
I say find a new friend sooner than later, waiting too long never gets better.

I replaced mine before he was actually gone. Found a litter from the same blood lines and figured having the "replacement" around before might make coping easier.

Time will tell.

I have never "gotten over" losing any of my dogs. I am such a wimp when it comes to losing a four legged friend. It seems that 10 - 11 years for a Chesapeake is it. We try to plan ahead so we are never without one. It still hurts. I think about each one of them often.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tracker boat
Back