Yeti GOBOX Collection

Archery Elk/mule deer 8x vs 10x

TrentHunter

Hi guys, I’m new here! I just have a question regarding optics’s. I am in the market to buy some new binos for elk/mule deer hunting out west. All of my hunting is archery hunting so I don’t think I will need a spotter just yet is that correct? I also can’t decide between 8x or 10x for binos. Should I get 8x and forgot the tripod. Or should I get 10x and use a tripod? Or would it be good to put 8x on a tripod? What’s your advice? Thanks!

10x is great freehand and for tripod. If you are planning on archery mule deer (spot and stalk) I would recommend a spotter, its going to save you a lot of miles on your boots.

Anything descent glass on a tripod will be better than any (even alpha) glass without a tripod. 8x are better in timber or close range, 10x or more power shine when glassing beyond a half mile. 12 and over pretty much require a tripod or some sort of brace if you're going to look very long. You can do a quick look through 11-15's, but it's quickly fatiguing to try to hold that still for very long, especially if you're under any aerobic stress from hiking.

Spotter or no depends on why you are hunting. If you are picky about quality, you need a spotter. If not picky, then go without.

Last edited:
Whether you are archery hunting or rifle hunting really doesn't make a difference in my opinion. You've got to spot the game first either way. The terrain and timber density is more important. If hunting thick timber, I would go with 8x and forget the tripod. If hunting more visible terrain, I would go with 10x and definitely a tripod. Spotters are for extreme long range glassing and getting a better look at rack/horn size, so unless you plan on glassing for miles and/or trophy hunting, you can forget about the spotter. It's just extra weight and money anyway. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like 10x with a tripod is the favorite. Can I still quickly be able to handle 10x without a tripod for quick situations?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back