Caribou Gear Tarp

The Next Generation

okie_hotrod

First of all, I wanna wish all the dads on here a happy Father's day. I know it's hard to leave my boys when I have to go to work and I'm sure I'm not alone.

I'm wondering how you more experienced hunting dads introduced your kids to hunting. I've got 2 toddlers but it seems like next week they'll be old enough to start going out with me. They love fishing and going to the lake and pretty much everything outside, my oldest even imitates an elk bugle from hearing me practice on mine, so it shouldn't be too hard but I want to make sure they have good experiences. Do any of you dads have tricks or tips about keeping your young kids quiet and occupied while hunting without losing interest? In my mind, the only thing as important as protecting our hunting rights is making sure we having young people to pass the torch to when we finally hang it up.

20180618_165419.jpg
I think he's got the basic concept... I guess we'll see if these binos are toddler proof. Good thing I got that VIP warranty LOL

I started hunting with my 9 year old son using one 22 rifle for rabbits and squirrels. It was a good quality 22 (Ruger 77) I gave him when he passed his hunter safety course. We took turns shooting but I really let him shoot his animals first. We had a great time and he turned out to be a good shot. Prior to him having his hunting license he went with me on some deer hunts when I felt he wouldn't get too bored. We also fished a lot. He now takes his son's fishing and hunting. They do not have hunting licenses yet but they love sitting in the duck blind with dad. He only takes one boy at a time because he can keep an eye on one easier than 2. His oldest is taking his hunter safety course in a couple of weeks and he is looking forward to hunting squirrels and rabbits with his sons. Of course his son's will hunt waterfowl also since he does that a lot.
Seeing animals and having a chance of some success is important to a beginner and we had a great rabbit spot. We ate a lot of cottontails for a couple of years. We also had one ranch that wanted us to shoot ground squirrels and that was really good practice for both of us.

Last edited:
Young kids have short attention spans so make it fun. They'll enjoy it more without to much pressure. Then as they get older work on the rest.

CE0FE878-B7CE-4912-AC41-C57D45954E51.jpgFC472F92-F008-4260-B459-A65B8FE61D6E.jpg
This is my son and I elk “hunting” on his first birthday. It was more of a drive with Dad so he could take a nap but now he is 2.5 and he runs around with us toy bow and duck call. I just like to expose them to nature and get that fire burning. It was pretty funny as I did run into a Dad and his teenage sons on this “ hunt” and he told me to enjoy every minute of if because it goes way to fast.

My dad built up my attention span as I got older. Worked pretty good if I do say so myself. He'd sit me by myself and go sit within sight/hearing range and come get me later and later as I got older. By the time I was eight years old, a few hours in the tree stand by myself was no problem. Just work his patience up gradually/accordingly and most importantly interact with him every chance you get. Any son just loves their dad's attention.

I started taking my son antelope hunting when he was six. At first, he really liked watching cartoons and eating pizza in the Motel in Roundup. Then he grew to enjoy camping at the "Owl Barn" north of Lavina. He started out throwing rocks at rabbits, taking lots of naps, then progressed to a BB gun, then to a 22 cal, then when 12 yrs old he aced his hunter safety course. His first year included taking two antelope, a nice fat muley doe, and a big cow elk. Now his pickup license plate reads "HNTMAX". His son, my ten-year old grandson, shot a "trophy" 3x4 muley buck in 2017. It's something that obviously can be passed generationally.

Point is: take them hunting, hiking and marveling at wildlife.

FUN. It's the most important part. If they are having fun, they'll want to do it again. A couple things that help it be fun for them, are let them in on the decision making. Which way should we go? Should we call? Also, it's about them, so sometimes it's okay to quit early or get a later start. Making it fun and relaxed is the key. They'll catch on.

From this past Sept (7yo and 10yo):
Untitled by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

I agree that it is important to make it fun. I took my step kids on some "easy" hunts to start. My wife and stepdaughter I picked an antelope tag that was a drive and glass hunt. They got to see a lot and had multiple shot opportunities per day. They had a blast. Then worked up to a hiking mule deer hunt. Now they get excited about a multi day elk hunt. I liken it to fishing. It's fun as long as they catch fish. Then as it gets tougher they remember the fun times and will put up with slower times.

I'm starting my 4-year-old off fishing and hiking. We is already begging to come to Wyoming with me.

I have twin boys and they just turned 3. I have taken them out fishing every Sunday for Brim and take them scouting when we take the side by side. Also, if I'm setting up a tree stand I take them with me so they get exposed to it. I think this is the fun stuff that helps keep them interested. They get to see what it takes to be successful then as they get older I'll take them out on actual hunts. As far as tips and tricks I've seen dads take their kids in the morning hunting when it gets colder. Let them sleep in a deer blind as its generally before daylight. Then when animals start to show up wake them up and let them see.

Thanks guys. I'm getting excited to take them. Building some enclosed and carpeted box blinds for late season rifle and bow hunts and already have a light recoil rifle (AR in 300BO) for them to get started with. I've tried introducing my teenage nephews to hunting but they seem too interested in video games or getting into trouble for me to take them regularly.

I remote wilderness camped a lot with my kids when very young. Having a good time and leaving little trace. Took my son on his first Caribou hunt when he was seven, wearing his mothers rain gear!

MooseHunt_1stBou 002.jpgMooseHunt_1stBou 001.jpg

Just do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back