Colorado unit 76

longbowkcy

Husband & wife Trad. bow hunters looking for a heads up in Colorado unit 76 archery Elk.
Planning to scout in July, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Not asking anyone to give up their secrets, but for most of us it's a once in a life time hunt.
Thanks so much!
k & c

Get in shape, so you enjoy the hunt. The elk will at or above timberline. Pick a basin and have fun!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you're going to want to check into the situation at hand here. I live in Southcentral Colorado, not all that far from the Eastern side of Unit 76. Unit 76 is pretty much in the San Juan National Forest. At present, as I message you, the 416 Fire has been burning North of Durango since June 1st. Last I read, it's burned some 32,000 acres, caused over 1000 home evacuations, and we're seeing the smoke at our ranch here. After 18 days, it is less than 20% containment.

As a result, the USFS implemented a Stage III fire alert. What this means, is that the entire San Juan National Forest, some 1.8 million acres is off limits to any entry whatsoever. I have a post recently on this very subject in the Elk forum here. The initial posting said the ban would not be lifted until the weather conditions (RAIN) changed the fire dangers significantly. So, before I made further plans or left to come out here, I'd be sure the ban has been lifted. They got some rain over there over the weekend, but I don't think they got as much as the forecast had called for.

On our side of the Continental Divide, which is in the Rio Grande National Forest, we're at a Stage II alert. In short that means no campfires and no chainsaws, etc. in the forests. It wouldn't take much to bump us up to a Stage III here too. We're in a very widespread drought over much of this State. It's bound to effect a lot of commerce, and of course the game will move to where they can find water sources that haven't dried up.

If you do a bit of internet searching, or call a Ranger Station in the San Juan National Forest, they can provide more details.

Oops! I just happened to look a bit closer, and the Northern portions of Unit 76, say South of the Rio Grande Reservoir, are in the Rio Grande National Forest, so that currently is NOT closed to entry at this time.
Sorry for my error! You're welcome to PM me if that is of benefit to you?

hi,
drew as non resident, we do keep in shape hike almost every day, stump shooting at 7000 ft.
kim

Welcome from MS and congrats on an amazing tag! Plenty of threads already on that unit so do some more research. I hope y'all have a great hunt this fall.

Husband & wife Trad. bow hunters looking for a heads up in Colorado unit 76 archery Elk.
Planning to scout in July, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Not asking anyone to give up their secrets, but for most of us it's a once in a life time hunt.
Thanks so much!
k & c

I hunted 76 successfully during archery 3 seasons ago. Not much has changed in there. Pm me and I'll let a little bit of the cat outta the bag. Not like i'm going back in there anytime soon with the new draw odds.

Congrats on the tag k&c!

I'll be going into the draw with 19 points next year and will likely try to cash in on unit 76 myself.

I'm interested to hear more about your experience.

Jeff

Hi jeff,
we would not apply for this unit "76" as long as the drought persist! Worst elk hunt ever.
Pm us for details.
K & c

Friend of mine drew the tag too and said it was great. Shot a 330+ bull and said he was not the biggest one around. Said they got on tons of elk and had encounters everyday. Hunted 5 days in total. Curious as to where you went, and what caused it to suck, PM me as well with details, I could draw the tag next year.

I too had a great hunt in 76. Shot a great bull on 9/20/2018. Passed up numerous shots at bulls. Feel free to PM me for details.

Hi all,

I've sent three PM's to people from unit 76 threads with no luck getting responses. I should draw this tag this year and am hoping somebody is willing to chat.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Hi all,

I've sent three PM's to people from unit 76 threads with no luck getting responses. I should draw this tag this year and am hoping somebody is willing to chat.

Thanks in advance.

Matt
I have hunted it twice. I can help some. Me a pm and we can chat. Its a great tag.

I have hunted it twice. I can help some. Me a pm and we can chat. Its a great tag.
Hi all. I cashed in my points and drew an archery bull tag for 2020. Would love to talk to someone to begin getting a heading. We typically hunt with camp on the back to get off the road. Just doing some e-scouting, I am looking at Squaw Creek, Little Squaw Creek, Ferm Creek, Fisher Mtn, Baldy Mtn and the area arund Spar City. If anyone has any info I would like to talk to you!

Thanks

Hi all. I cashed in my points and drew an archery bull tag for 2020. Would love to talk to someone to begin getting a heading. We typically hunt with camp on the back to get off the road. Just doing some e-scouting, I am looking at Squaw Creek, Little Squaw Creek, Ferm Creek, Fisher Mtn, Baldy Mtn and the area arund Spar City. If anyone has any info I would like to talk to you!

Thanks
Welcome aboard!

Thanks
If you happen to go to Spar City and see any mature rams around Could you hit me up!? Thanks!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back