Caribou Gear

Proof Research Rifles

If you want a Proof, get a Proof. Yep, lots of simolians for sure. A list of less expensive rifles that supposedly rival it is long, as is happening here. I believe that Proof started in the aerospace industry. Bet they make a great rifle. mtmuley

I’ve got two customs both are in the $4500 range. The first is from Fosnaugh Custom Rifles and the second from Accurate Ordnance. The first uses a defiance action and heavy Brux barrel and the second a Stiller action and proof barrel. Both on carbon stocks and both are lights out shooters with factory Ammo. Neither have the reputation that proof has and that’s the only thing. I love Proof but the components are not completely unique and RBros, Accurate Ordnance, CCR can all build you a very similar/identical rifle for a lot less. They are all top of the line, but not Proof. Check out your options and you might find features you like in other builders. Just a thought. I’d also seriously consider Gunwerks if you’re going to spend that kind of cash they are the same caliber and from my favorite state WY (you read that right LOL). Good luck. The research is the best part.

Great to know that you are happy with the defiance action and proof barrel. I took a few minutes and checked out the three rifle companies that you suggested. Couldn't find too much info on Fosnaugh... they have a pretty shitty website and couldn't even find examples of rifles they build. Accurate Ordnance and Gunwerks look to have great rifles but all too heavy for my application. I'd like to keep the weight under 7.5lbs scoped and loaded. Not very fun lugging a 10+lbs rifle up a mountain after sheep.

Thanks for your time and input

Eddie F builds some amazing rifles!!
The proof rifles seem a bit over priced for the components used but they have a good reputation and seem to be shooters.

Eddie F? Sounds like some backwoods hillbilly in West Virginia

If you want a Proof, get a Proof. Yep, lots of simolians for sure. A list of less expensive rifles that supposedly rival it is long, as is happening here. I believe that Proof started in the aerospace industry. Bet they make a great rifle. mtmuley

Yeah lots of great advice and great rifles out there. Wish more people on the forum had experience with proof rifles.

All I can say is get what you want. If money is not a problem, then do not consider back up options. For me I wanted a custom ( Semi- custom) rifle for years. I saved some money and bought what I wanted. I have never looked back. For me since I live in Oregon ( Hopefully not for long) I wanted to support local manufacturing. I bought a Nosler Custom and a Leuopold scope. I had the rifle built to my specs with my features. took 9 months to build. Both built in Oregon. It is exactly what I wanted and makes me happy.

I'd call Proof Reasearch and talk to them. Everyone I've talked to at Proof about my sons guns gave honest answers to the questions we asked! They're not used cars salemen, they build and sell High quality rifles!

Casey M yeah the two I have come with some weight so not ideal. You’ll find a winner for sure. Gunwerks has a clymr with a titanium action but it’ll be worth the cost of a new truck practically LOL.

Almost forgot to add, couple of the guys on Longrangehunting.com has two proof rifles BNIB at awesome prices. Check them out.

I have absolutely zero experience with proof rifles but I WAS considering having a gun built and using one of their barrels. A VERY respected gunsmit that has a lot of experience with the barrels and has done work for me in the past says that he hasn't been happy with the last few rifles he's built using their barrels. He says they started lapping their barrels in house where as they used to contract that out. He claimed a barrel that he scoped "looked like sandpaper."

Again.....I have absolutely no first hand experience BUT I respect his opinion/knowledge very much and have decided not to use one of their barrels.

Just thought I'd pass it along...would hate to spend that kind of money on a rifle and be disappointed in the accuracy.

I have absolutely zero experience with proof rifles but I WAS considering having a gun built and using one of their barrels. A VERY respected gunsmit that has a lot of experience with the barrels and has done work for me in the past says that he hasn't been happy with the last few rifles he's built using their barrels. He says they started lapping their barrels in house where as they used to contract that out. He claimed a barrel that he scoped "looked like sandpaper."

Again.....I have absolutely no first hand experience BUT I respect his opinion/knowledge very much and have decided not to use one of their barrels.

Just thought I'd pass it along...would hate to spend that kind of money on a rifle and be disappointed in the accuracy.

Post the smith. mtmuley

I bought a proof pre-fit barrel and put on a savage that didn't shoot. Was very easy to find a load for ( I reload all my rifles).
I will shoot .50 groups easy and I have shot my best group (at 100 yards) with it. I sure will not hesitate to put another one on one of my rifles. The only thing it won't shoot is accubonds, bummed... but it shoot TTSX's and that's what I'm feeding it

Can't do that. Not sure how he'd feel about me putting info he gave me on the open web. I simply gave info I have received to the OP since I just had a conversation about those barrels yesterday.

I guess you'll just have to trust me that he is credible. He is actually not a full time Smith any longer...got burned out on the lathe time. He keeps raising his prices to cut back on work but he is still several builds deep. I can no longer afford him but I do value his advice.

Maybe it was a fluke deal but I don't want to take a chance on a $650 barrel.

I also know a guy who has his own lathe and does some barrel work. He uses Brux barrels on most of his stuff. He always bore scopes them before working on them. He got one and he said it looked terrible. He called Brux and they said try it and if it does not shoot we will replace it. It's one of his best shooters ever he said. One never knows...

Can't do that. Not sure how he'd feel about me putting info he gave me on the open web. I simply gave info I have received to the OP since I just had a conversation about those barrels yesterday.

I guess you'll just have to trust me that he is credible. He is actually not a full time Smith any longer...got burned out on the lathe time. He keeps raising his prices to cut back on work but he is still several builds deep. I can no longer afford him but I do value his advice.

Maybe it was a fluke deal but I don't want to take a chance on a $650 barrel.
If he has things to say, he shouldn't hide. mtmuley

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back