Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Proof Research Rifles

If I was considering a Proof, I'd want to talk to the guy. My bud at Hammer bullets lives down the road from Proof and has used their barrels. I'll have to remember to ask him about the lapping thing. If a guy won't step forward, it's all just internet banter. mtmuley

Well I think that's the first negative comment that I've heard other than the price. But it's slightly off topic. Trying to view the gun as a whole and not just the barrel.

I've recently called proof and talked with them for almost 30 min. They actually gave me a name and number of hunting guide in alaska that bought the same rifle I'm interested in. I was able to contact him and chat for a bit about the rifle. Unfortunately he doesn't live close enough to go view/shoot the rifle. Long story short he has zero complaints about the rifle.

I've made up my mind and now its just a matter of selling a few old guns and saving up more money before pulling the trigger. Pun intended.

Thanks everyone for the input and conversation

Last edited:
Looked up Proof Research on Youtube last night. One video has 2 employees with a Proof barrel just hand tight. 3 shots, takes barrel off, hands to other guy that destroys a cinder block with it. Screws back on hand tight and shoots 3 shots again. :eek:

Another posting was reveiwing a Christensen Arms Ridgeling, by the time they were done mounting scope, sling and bipod weight was 10 lbs.
I don't feel so bad about my Mauser build after that...

Casey, I'm glad you called Proof Reasearch I knew if you talked to them you'd be ok. Happy sellingand saving!

I've done load development for quite a few proof's and they've all shot 1/2 MOA or better with hand loads and I've had a couple go 1/8 MOA. That being said I've had great results with Christensen Arms version of the carbon rifles as well and they are a fraction of the cost. Although, I would personally go with the middle road and have Ryan Pierce custom build exactly what I wanted, especially if I were thinking about a 28 Nosler. He chambers for the 195 gr Bergers and they just hammer. I've had the opportunity to do load development for two of his 28 Noslers (one of them being mine) and I would highly recommend his work to anyone.

I have a Proof barrel on my 7mm Rem Mag. It started out as a Remington 700 SPS that wouldn't shoot as well as I'd like it to; and I used it as an excuse to buy a Proof barrel. I'm very happy with the way it turned out, and it's an accurate gun for sure. I found all my components on sale, so I saved some money right off the bat. But looking back on it, I think I could've spent a little less on a Christensen Ridgeline, and had the same performance, but I already had the action that needed to be built on. I think the Proof rifles are cool, and very sharp looking. If you have the money, then by all means, go for it. But you could also save yourself some money and buy a Christensen, and use the rest of the proceeds to buy ammo.

It's your money, but I know from my experience that once I've spent a lot of money on a platform, the novelty wears off after a bit, and I realize that I could've achieved the same results with less cash outlay.

Keep us posted on what you end up getting.

Back