Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Proof Research Rifles

CaseyM

Does anyone own or have experience shooting Proof Research Rifles. I'm considering buying their summit model rifle.

Yikes is right. However, I've spent more than that on random rifles over the years that don't check all the boxes of my needs and wants. Soooo my plan is to sell those old rifles that are collecting dust in the back of my gun safe and upgrade.

A friend of mine once told me this. He is a very experienced, knowledgeable, ex special forces veteran. "Fear the man who owns one gun" I've thought about that ever since. Better to be extremely proficient with one gun, rather than be comfortable with many.

"Fear the man who owns one gun" I've thought about that ever since. Better to be extremely proficient with one gun, rather than be comfortable with many.
I agree. Precisely why I hunt everything with my RUM. Doubt you'll regret a Proof. Not as spendy, but a great rifle also, the Cooper 92. I like Montana guns. mtmuley

Snowy Mountain is a Montana company too. We have some great rifle makers here. mtmuley

What caliber are you looking at? Do you want a detachable magazine or BDL style?The proof rifles are nice no doubt.

Yikes is right. However, I've spent more than that on random rifles over the years that don't check all the boxes of my needs and wants. Soooo my plan is to sell those old rifles that are collecting dust in the back of my gun safe and upgrade.

A friend of mine once told me this. He is a very experienced, knowledgeable, ex special forces veteran. "Fear the man who owns one gun" I've thought about that ever since. Better to be extremely proficient with one gun, rather than be comfortable with many.

Until you drop said "one gun" during a river crossing and center punch the top scope turret on a rock. Ending your hunt on the second day. :D

I would at least have a backup rifle.

The Proof Research guns are friggin sweet.

Until you drop said "one gun" during a river crossing and center punch the top scope turret on a rock. Ending your hunt on the second day. :D

I would at least have a backup rifle.

The Proof Research guns are friggin sweet.

Yeah that would rank very high on the "That would suck" list.

I'll still keep my Remington 700 XCRII 300 win mag as a backup.

Last edited:
What caliber are you looking at? Do you want a detachable magazine or BDL style?The proof rifles are nice no doubt.

Well I'm still undecided. I live in Alaska and currently use a 300 win mag. I leaning towards having it chambered in 28 nosler or 300wsm. I don't want more recoil than what I have now. Actually I would prefer less recoil. That being said this new rifle would weigh less than my current rifle.

I would prefer no magazine at all. Would just have to cycle the bolt in a safe direction. That's actually what I do now with my hinged floor plate mag that I have duct taped closed.

Last edited:
IMG_1694.jpg Casey, Proof Reasearch 300 win mag and since you're in Alaska and big moose and bears it'll do, but add the brake!

My hunting partner had one a few years ago that shot lights out in 300WSM. I have a Christensen that shoots every bit as good and another custom with a different carbon fiber barrel that shoots awesome too.

I'd buy another one but I've got 2 and don't need a 3rd.

59855E49-3EC8-4ED0-95A1-837F571E930F.jpgI love my Christensen Arms. Proof is no doubt a very sweet machine.

Sorry...not sure how to rotate the pic

I’ve got two customs both are in the $4500 range. The first is from Fosnaugh Custom Rifles and the second from Accurate Ordnance. The first uses a defiance action and heavy Brux barrel and the second a Stiller action and proof barrel. Both on carbon stocks and both are lights out shooters with factory Ammo. Neither have the reputation that proof has and that’s the only thing. I love Proof but the components are not completely unique and RBros, Accurate Ordnance, CCR can all build you a very similar/identical rifle for a lot less. They are all top of the line, but not Proof. Check out your options and you might find features you like in other builders. Just a thought. I’d also seriously consider Gunwerks if you’re going to spend that kind of cash they are the same caliber and from my favorite state WY (you read that right LOL). Good luck. The research is the best part.

Eddie F builds some amazing rifles!!
The proof rifles seem a bit over priced for the components used but they have a good reputation and seem to be shooters.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back