X bolt pro issues

irf1983

Hey guys, just wanted to post this in case anyone else has had similar problems.

I recently bought a Browning X Bolt Pro in 300 win mag. I put Talley rings on it and an VX6HD scope. I was hoping this would be a real tack driving combo but I have had several issues with the gun.

First I had to order a new trigger group as one of the tabs that holds the group in broke while i was adjusting the trigger. Then I had to send the rifle back because when i went to install the scope rings, the threads on forward left screw hole stripped under a 15 inch/lb torque wrench. This had me worried that there was a heat treating issue on the steel. After several frustration conversations with browning, who are very tight lipped about what the actually do to your gun, i finally found out that they just ran a tap back through the threads and sent it back to me. They also told me to never use torque wrenches when installing on their guns, but instead to just use loctite and hand tighten until you feel resistance. Frankly I think heat treated stainless steel should be able to withstand 15 inch lbs of torque.

So i finally got the gun back and installed the scope and thus far i have not been able to get a group under 3 inches at 200 yards from a lead sled. I've tried 6 different types of quality factory ammo and it is just shooting all over the place. I contacted Browning again to try to get some ammo suggestions but they will not give any advice or recommendations on ammunition. They said I could send the gun in again and they would fire it to determine if there is an issue. However being that there is no MOA guarantee from Browning I'm not convinced that they are going to go to great lengths to get the gun firing moa or better.

So now I'm not really sure what to do. I realize all guns are different and require finding the right ammo to match, but I really expected more from a 2,000$ gun and i can't keep dropping 50$ on every box of ammo only to shoot a dismal 3 round group. I will probably send it back again and see what they have to say but I'm pretty disappointed in the rifle so far. I've been shooting a used A bolt in 7mm that has been outstanding, so i had high hopes for this gun but I am quickly losing confidence in it.

Has anyone had issues like this with the x bolt line before?

Thanks!

I've been wanting one of the X-bolt pros for awhile but havent been able to find one in stock so I can see one in person. Then they announced their X-bolt pro LR and tungsten models and havent seen them either. Please keep updating this thread as I've seen very little feedback on the x-bolt pro from actual customer reviews.

I'm with you and would expect better than your problems for a gun that expensive especially when competing in a price point with other well known systems.

I've had my Xbolt Hells Canyon Speed for 3 years now.
At 300 Yards I am sub-MOA.
I've had no issues with the rifle.

My ammo is a hand load, but SST also shoots well.

What is the grain of bullet?

I've had my Xbolt Hells Canyon Speed for 3 years now.
At 300 Yards I am sub-MOA.
I've had no issues with the rifle.

My ammo is a hand load, but SST also shoots well.

What is the grain of bullet?

I have tried 155, 165, 180, and 200

I had a stainless stalker x bolt in a 7mm Remington mag. After many many rounds of ammo the it if finally came to the conclusion it was not a shooter at all. Got rid of it.

I would suggest shooting it from a bipod and rear bag! Lead sled are junk IMO! If it still doesn't group I would say send it back and see what Browning says.

I am going to send it in and see what Browning says. The problem is Browning will not communicate with the owner about what they do. The gunsmiths have it in their contract that they will not call the customer, and the customer service will not divulge what, if anything, has been done to your gun for legal reasons. So I am kind of at their mercy once I send it in. Has anybody had any experience dealing with this in the past? I have to provide a letter with the issues the gun is having. I'm not sure whether to be good cop or bad cop to get the best results.

I doubt any rifle at any price range can guarantee under three inches at 200 yards. You're really just playing the odds on what you get.

I would suggest shooting it from a bipod and rear bag! Lead sled are junk IMO! If it still doesn't group I would say send it back and see what Browning says.

I have had much better accuracy with bags, etc than a lead sled. I stopped using it. The key for me was proper hold and replication to obtain better accuracy. This is especially true either light weight rifles.

I have had much better accuracy with bags, etc than a lead sled. I stopped using it. The key for me was proper hold and replication to obtain better accuracy. This is especially true either light weight rifles.

Exactly! A lead sled is useless for getting proper cheek weld and grip position. Also a very common problem not only with the lead sled but front bags is the front sling stud upon recoil will snag/bury into the front rest and cause major issues.

OP- Don't give up just yet. Go shoot it off a bipod and rear bag. It might surprise you. If not then send it in. Also how many rounds do you have down the barrel? Have you cleaned it? Copper solvent?

What’s the difference between the pro and a normal one? I just bought a xbolt hunter in .300 Win Mag and put a Vx5 3-15x44 on it. Scheels mounted to scope for free and I had cloverleafs at 100 off a lead sled shooting 180 grain federal trophy bonded tips

Back when I shot a .300 and handloaded for it I shot groups well under an inch from a lead sled. It might not be the best option, but it'll definitely get it done.

Not sure what distance the moa guarantee is. But I'm pretty sure it's 100 yards. I'm trying to remember the review from a competent source I read where a guaranteed moa rifle wouldn't shoot moa with any of the five factory rounds they tried.

When they say guaranteed they mean warranty. Anyone who says that anything in life is guaranteed including nthe sun coming up in the morning is mistaken.

Last edited:
I agree with the others who are suggesting shooting off of bags. Give that a try first before you do anything else. Secondly, shoot at 100 yards to eliminate other variables such as wind. Third, have someone who you trust as a good shot and can handle heavy recoil shoot the gun to verify it's the gun. Not saying it's you, but you need to double check. I'm a relatively good shot and I would do the same just to be sure. Other than that I don't know what to say. I wouldn't get nasty with Browning though. That won't help anything. Just calmly state the facts and relate your disappointment. As a last resort, I'm with mtmuley. Get a refund or send it down the road.

i have heard of Browning's lack of customer care before, however i too own an x-bolt and have had similar issues with large groups while shooting off a lead sled, i switched to sand bags and then the true nature of the beast was revealed, my x-bolt was a tack driver! surprisingly my rifle will shoot to the same POI with either the Federal Trophy Copper or Trophy Bonded Tip, and or Barnes T-TSX factory loads. good luck with resolving your issue!

It’s always good to let another shooter try your rifle. Not saying it’s necessarily you, but I find my form suffers when shooting 300s. And having another person there allows you to eliminate yourself as a variable.

I have never shot a decent group from a lead sled. I don't own one but have tried them a couple of times. I have a buddy who purchased a new 300 Win mag (not a Browning) and couldn't get decent groups until he gave up on his lead sled. His gun is fine.

I recognize this is an older thread, but wanted to chime in here as I'm having similar experiences and wondering what "irf1983"'s experience was with Browning. I have a X-bolt hells canyon speed in 300 win mag with a Vortex 4-16x44 Viper scope. I've shot many high-end ammunition at various grain levels (Federal Premium, Hornady Superformance, Nosler Trophy Grade accubonds) off a lead sled and off a bi-pod and have not got consistency under 4" groupings at 200 yards. I've always been a good shot; I used to shoot a ruger mark 2 7mm and had always achieved MOA accuracy. The most accurate ammunition I've shot out of the x-bolt is Remington Core-Lokt's 180 grain, which is 2-3" groupings at 200 yards but they are not high-tolerance bullets and I don't get the same consistency at 300 yards or further. Any recommendations or can anyone share their experiences with sending a gun back to Browning?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back