Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Kimber rifle

Footanklefxr

Good morning! I am very new to Elk hunting. So new, in fact, that I am planning my first hunt for 2019. If you needed an all around rifle for Elk and most western big game hunts which would be the best choice of caliber? I was leaning toward the 7mm-08 REM. Thoughts ?

I have a Kimber 84L in 30-06 and love it. It’s a good shooter, light weight and points well. Some guys on here will tell you to stay away from Kimber.
I’ve never been expressed enough with the 7mm-08 to own one. Know guys who have them and love them. I would go with a .308 for a wider selection of bullet weights.
My go to elk rifle is a Remington 673 in .300 SAUM. Got a little more punch with a 180 Scirocco. I believe you can find a Kimber in .300 WSM.
Go handle several rifles and find the one that fits you, then pick a caliber. Ammo selection should be a factor if you don’t reload. Then practice. Beware the man with one gun, he knows how to use it.

Not sure my opinion is worth much, but there have been countless threads on here about the finicky nature of Kimbers. Apparently you get an awesome one or it groups terribly. I'd still like to try one but if I were picking one to use soon I'd consider a Tikka or Howa. Or Browning if you have money and don't mind a bit more weight.

7mm08 is a really nice round as long as you feed it some good ammo. Use bonded bullets for anything bigger than deer and keep your shots within a reasonable distance and you'll do just fine. If you're looking for a little for thump with manageable recoil you could also look into the 270 or 280. I personally don't care for the 30s because I think other calibers can do the job more efficiently but it's hard to beat the 308 or 30-06 for versatility and ammo availability. As far as rifles are concerned, I've had great experiences with Ruger, Browning, Savage, and Howa rifles and the price point works with my budget. Welcome and good luck.

I seem to see about a 50/50 response on Kimber threads. Kimber Hunters have my eye however the Tikka Superlite has my attention for a light rifle.

Cartridge choice is up to you and the list is nearly endless depending on the rifle you choose. I frequently hunt with 7mm-08 and 270 which are both excellent choices when matched with a 130-150grain bullet. 28Nosler, 280AI and 7MMRemMag are also very high on my list especially when talking about 160 grain bullets or larger.

I went from a gun that everyone seems to love (Browning A-Bolt in 7mm Rem Mag) to a Kimber Montana in .300 WSM and saw a significant improvement in accuracy.

I think the A-Bolt had a smoother action but the Kimber's isn't bad, just not as smooth as the A-Bolt.

I bought the A-Bolt new and the Kimber used.

There’s a wide array of opinions on Kimbers. Pay attention to all of them. I love mine.

The 7-08 is a fine all around cartridge.

Unless you plan to handload, I'd go with a common cartridge in a Kimber. I think they are good shooters when you find the right load, but their light barrels can be finicky and you want factory ammo options to find a load that works for your gun.

I dont have any experience with Kimber but regarding the cartridge, factor in the cost of ammo and if it will limit how often you get to shoot. Accuracy and shot placement are more important than a specific cartridge within reason so if you are able to shoot a 308 more frequently and thus practice with it more, I'd choose a more common round like that over the 7-08 REM. If budget is no concern or if you reload, than get what you like and practice!

I have a kimber 8400 .270 WSM that shoots lights out. Really though, if you know anything about reloading, with today's selection of bullets and powders, you can make an "all around" gun out of just about any of the medium to large calibers. IMO, it's more important to invest time in finding the right gun than finding the right caliber.

invest in some reloading equipment..... get a 6.5X.284 and shoot some Hornaday ELD-X bullets and you will kill almost everything under the sun with it. And if you have a wife or kids this rifle is great for them! My wife, 10y/o daughter, 7y/o son, and myself all shoot the rifle great out too 600 yards. Great rifle no complaints at all!
Matt

I have a Kimber Hunter in 7-08 but if someone was looking for a 1 gun battery for western hunting my recommendation would be a Tikka Superlite in 308. Far more factory offerings in 308. My Tikka shoots better than the Kimber and both are in 7-08. Nothing wrong with either though.

Asking which caliber is best is super difficult. There are as many opinions as people and it's super easy to get yourself wrapped around internet opinions. I have a Kimber Hunter in a 6.5 Creedmoor that shoots well that I am very pleased with. I use it mainly for my kids to shoot and my gun of choice if I am backpacking in a long distance. Elk are strong and can withstand a lot so I don’t think anyone will ever fault you for choosing a round with more energy. This forum has a real love for the 7mm-08, and for good reason, but other forums will steer you in a different direction based on their experience. Feel free to do your own research and make your own opinion.

Good morning! I am very new to Elk hunting. So new, in fact, that I am planning my first hunt for 2019. If you needed an all around rifle for Elk and most western big game hunts which would be the best choice of caliber? I was leaning toward the 7mm-08 REM. Thoughts ?

I should have asked earlier, how much you are budgeting for said rifle? If you have roughly $2,000 there are some pretty sweet rifles that I would recommend considering. The recent GoHunt video MOA2 really has me thinking about the Browning X-bolt Pro along with few others.

Kimbers are like any other rifle. You occasionally get a bad one. I've seen Remingtons that would not shoot, and Winchesters that would not shoot. The only rifle I've not been able to figure out was a Browning A Bolt in 300 Winchester. Often times you just have to play with the stock fit and the load and you can generally make any rifle a sub MOA shooter. As for 7mm-08, it is capable as long as you use good bullets and recognize it's limitations. For Elk, I would not choose any bullet less than 150 grains and would limit shots to 400 yards or less. If you step up to the 30-06 you can choose bullets up to 200 grains and shots to 600 yards are quite capable.

If I was forced to buy a Kimber, it would be in a 280 AI shooting 160 grain Accubonds. Otherwise, I'll keep carrying the perfect rifle, a Remington Model Seven SS in 7 SAUM. Lol

If it's within your price range (~$1500) for a one and done rifle, it'd be hard not to look at the Barret Fieldcraft in your chambering of choice.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAWMIA
Back