Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

hunting a burn

Nick87

I've been doing some e-scouting for an upcoming wyoming archery elk hunt and I've found a spot that looks pretty good. No roads to speak of and a big burn from a few years back. My question is would it be a good idea to be looking at hunting that more directly in the center of the burn (its a good sized burn) or should I be focusing more on the areas on the edge of the burn? I guess I'm just wondering if the elk stay in the burn the majority of the time or if they travel to the burn from cover to feed? The burn is six years old so maybe there would be enough cover there than I think. Thanks in advance guys!!

Last edited:
It depends on how isolated the burn is. If it's in an area that doesn't get much pressure, the elk could just hang out in there. There are usually specific areas within the burn that get more use than others.

In my little experience with elk and burns, seems to me that they prefer to be near the edge if that area isn't pressured much. But take what I say lightly because I don't have much experience chasing elk like some of the guys on here.... I'm sure someone else will chime in

I hunt burn areas in So New Mexico, unit 36 primarily. The elk there hang out all over it...totally feed driven. The area burned 5yrs ago so there has been substantial growth with grazing all through the area. I would imagine that like most areas, the best feed will hold them and keep the close. These elk bed in nearby timber areas mid-morning but pop out to feed late afternoon. Most of this country is vertical, very steep although I don't think that is a factor. Really its about whats growing in Sept/Oct and is it on their diet.

Back