Transplant in Billings, MT

R.K.

After a few years is dreaming about the West, I took the jump and moved to Billings this week. Originally from the St Louis area, and I know absolutely no one out here. If anybody is looking for someone to add to their hunting or fishing group- I have boots, will travel.

I hunt, fish, hike, paddle, and just like to get outside. Big game, small game, non-game; fur, fins, or feathers; fly gear or bait & hardware. Archery, rifle, wingshooting, etc.

So if you need someone to help launch and run a boat, walk a draw for pheasants, pack meat, or just be the "slow friend" in bear country, shoot me a pm.

Thanks,

Rob

hey man I'm doing the same as we speak. on a road trip from CT through the west finding my new home. Ill be coming though billings the first week of july if you want to get a beer and talk about how nice it is to escape the east coast lol

You choose to live in Billings?

Well, the West End was the closest I could find a place to rent near my job. And it's in Montana, which is a hell of a lot better than Chicago- didn't even spend two years there, but I couldn't take it anymore.

And thanks, to everyone else. Hell, even to 406LIFE.

Welcome to the Big Sky! I also chose to live in Billings last year, but I only moved across the state. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

As somebody that’s lived in Missoula, Butte, and Billings and spent a lot of time in Bozeman, Billings is my favorite.
If I was independently wealthy, i’d re evaluate. You’ll pay more to live in Missoula or Bozeman and in my career take a significant pay cut. For a balance of affordability, pay and outdoors Billings is a good place.

Missoula is beautiful and that’s about it. Bozeman is a very nice place but very expensive and more like a Colorado ski town than Montana. Butte is more fun than you can imagine but is economically depressed.

There’s a lot around Billings.
The Beartooth is the best place in the lower 48 that I’ve been and it’s 45 minutes away. The breaks, snowies, and crazies, Pryors and bighorns are all fairly close too. Yet people don’t move to Billings for the outdoors like they do Bozeman and that’s exactly what makes it so great. There is a real lack of crowds anywhere you go other than near red lodge.

I’ve never been to St Luis but I’ve been to KC a fair bit. I think you’ll like Billings a lot more.

I just moved elsewhere but if you want any suggestions PM me.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2105956/best-places-live-us-2016

Last edited:
Thanks, really appreciate it- I'll send a pm once I think of what needs to be asked. Other than "where to find a grouse" or "why are non-res prices so high here?"

Welcome to MT. I was born and raised in Bozeman, and I have lived in Billings for the past 5 years. I would love to meet up, but my wife and I are moving to Omaha next week because she got into grad school there...we will be back for sure though. Feel free to DM me any questions. You will enjoy it here.

I just moved to Great Falls, MT. I am from the Effingham IL area. Great choice moving from STL! I'm looking for a hunting/fishing partner as well. I'm 21 with a full time job.

The full draw film tour is tonight, at harvest church in the heights. I am in my phone, so just google it and you can get the details! Welcome to Billings!

Tonight? Website says Thursday July 26. And I have plans, but I'm debating cancelling to go to that.

And what's with everyone leaving Montana this summer? Is it me? Do I smell?

Last edited:
I also just moved to Billings at the end of July 2018. My job has me working one week on, one week off. So I have a fair bit of free time. I came from California, but am a huge outdoorsman and that's why I moved. If your free, maybe we can grab a beer and see if we can work something out

As somebody that’s lived in Missoula, Butte, and Billings and spent a lot of time in Bozeman, Billings is my favorite.
If I was independently wealthy, i’d re evaluate. You’ll pay more to live in Missoula or Bozeman and in my career take a significant pay cut. For a balance of affordability, pay and outdoors Billings is a good place.

Missoula is beautiful and that’s about it. Bozeman is a very nice place but very expensive and more like a Colorado ski town than Montana. Butte is more fun than you can imagine but is economically depressed.

There’s a lot around Billings.
The Beartooth is the best place in the lower 48 that I’ve been and it’s 45 minutes away. The breaks, snowies, and crazies, Pryors and bighorns are all fairly close too. Yet people don’t move to Billings for the outdoors like they do Bozeman and that’s exactly what makes it so great. There is a real lack of crowds anywhere you go other than near red lodge.

I’ve never been to St Luis but I’ve been to KC a fair bit. I think you’ll like Billings a lot more.

I just moved elsewhere but if you want any suggestions PM me.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2105956/best-places-live-us-2016

I could not have said better other than to say BIllings has better weather then the more western cities. Plus the cost of living isnt insane like Bozeman and it has real indistry so the pay is much better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back