MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Propposed Trophy Grizly Bear hunt in Wyoming

std7mag

Appearantly the grizly bear was taken off of the endangered species list last year in the Yellowstone area. Wyoming has voted to do a trophy hunt of 22 bears around Yellowstone, but not in Yellowstone.

Of course there is plans to try to stop it in court.

Just wanting to let you good people know, and get opinions on the subject.

There has been a thread or three.

A grizzly bear season is not much to me personally. It's simply unaffordable.

Provided it ever gets past the liberal courts, it begs one to ponder how much revenue the WF&G would be able to generate yearly if they would put just 1 tag as a totally random $10-20 lottery, with no preference points, Ever?

Provided it ever gets past the liberal courts, it begs one to ponder how much revenue the WF&G would be able to generate yearly if they would put just 1 tag as a totally random $10-20 lottery, with no preference points, Ever?

Why would you ever say that? Of course it will get past the courts (which are definitely not that liberal). The wolf season did, and if it took two tries for that it was only because WY was stupid about their first attempts and tried to ram something down the federal .gov's and the people's throats. But now Wyoming has a wolf season and shortly they will have a grizzly season. Unfortunately, the latter will be just for the richest of people and thus, I tend not to care very much.

This 100%

I can’t imagine it’s much more expensive than shooting one in Alaska, and the logistics of this hunt will be far simpler.

Although I 100% support the hunt, shooting one myself isn’t that appealing when I’ll have elk and mule deer to chase. I also can’t help but wonder what retaliation from the antis toward the tag holders will look like this first year if the hunt goes through.

Last edited:
I can’t imagine it’s much more expensive than shooting one in Alaska, and the logistics of this hunt will be far simpler.

Although I 100% support the hunt, shooting one myself isn’t that appealing when I’ll have elk and mule deer to chase and I can’t help but wonder what retaliation from the antis toward the tag holders will look like this first year if the hunt goes through.

I’ll add, as my usual friendly reminder, the legislature not Game and Fish sets the fees.

I do expect significant numbers of threats to those who might draw and are successful. I certainly wouldn’t want my photo wandering around the internet.

Although I think the price is too high, I can’t think of anything I’d rather spend $6k on.
It should be enough to weed out every fudd with daddy’s -06, but $6k is a lot.

Draw my name and show me where to sign.

There, I fixed it for you.

Has anyone heard if they will be offering a NR tag that doesn't require a guide?

The 3 NRs that draw in the LQ area should be able to find bears outside of the wilderness. The DMA tag could probably be done, but much of it is wilderness

Although I think the price is too high, I can’t think of anything I’d rather spend $6k on.
It should be enough to weed out every fudd with daddy’s -06, but $6k is a lot.

Draw my name and show me where to sign.

I'll wait for Montana to join in. If it goes true to form, residents will be able to apply for 10 bucks. mtmuley

Funny stuff...all I heard was whining about how grizzlies need to be hunted and off the list.

The grizzlies come off the list, Wyoming proposes a season, then phase 2 of the whine-fest starts about the price?

Hilarious.

Funny stuff...all I heard was whining about how grizzlies need to be hunted and off the list.

The grizzlies come off the list, Wyoming proposes a season, then phase 2 of the whine-fest starts about the price?

Hilarious.

Sorry you feel that way Buzz. The fact it, it's a rich man's game and that will cut into support for it. Say it anyway you want, but that will be the effect.

Most people think hunting needs to be encouraged, that new hunters need to be recruited to the sport. But with lease hunting tying up vast tracts of land in some parts of the country, and tags becoming ridiculously expensive, many will probably turn to other activities and places for their money.

If you don't think that is a big problem, well, keep your head in the sand on that one. You are a great advocate for public land hunting, but when the vast majority of the public can't afford it well,,,,,,,

If you don't think that is a big problem, well, keep your head in the sand on that one. You are a great advocate for public land hunting, but when the vast majority of the public can't afford it well,,,,,,,

See post #8, same goes for WY's elk tags.

I think you're the one with your head in the sand if you think hunting is going to get any cheaper. $6K or not, there will still be more applicants than tags, draw odds will be low, and nobody will care if you can or cannot afford it. Look up what a Griz/Brownbear hunt goes for in AK or Canada, $6k is nothing.

See post #8, same goes for WY's elk tags.
See post #17

I think you're the one with your head in the sand if you think hunting is going to get any cheaper. $6K or not, there will still be more applicants than tags, draw odds will be low, and nobody will care if you can or cannot afford it. Look up what a Griz/Brownbear hunt goes for in AK or Canada, $6k is nothing.

I never said I thought it would get cheaper. And, certainly, no one will care what I can or cannot afford. And thus, I'm disinclined to very interested in supporting grizzly hunting in Wyoming. Those dots should be very easy for you to connect.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back