Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Should I pick up a bear tag also?

Houston77

I’m going on my first elk hunt this year. It’s going to be OTC in Colorado since I did not draw in another state. I’m thinking about picking up a bear tag. I’m not going to be hunting bears specifically but would want a tag if I see one. Who else does this and do you ever see bears while chasing elk?

Thanks

I believe the vast majority of bear harvests are the result of chance encounters by an elk or deer hunter. Having said that, your odds of bumping into bears aren’t that great, generally speaking. I’m sure some areas are more productive, but it’s an expensive add-on. Of course, if you choose not to buy one, you’ll probably run into a big old boar. :)

I helped a guy pack a bear out the last time I did otc rifle in Co. he said they’re way over populated due to voters killing their spring hunt. I’ll be in the same unit this year for archery, but as much as I’d like to help them with their population problem, I’m not willing to pay the nr rate for a bear tag.

FWIW he tagged his while sitting near a gut pile.

If you kill a bear, you'll have to deal with a bear, and CO requires you pack out all meat. Personally, I would rather focus my efforts on elk, as CO rifle seasons are short. If you would be just as happy with a bear, as an elk, then go for it.

If you kill a bear, you'll have to deal with a bear, and CO requires you pack out all meat. Personally, I would rather focus my efforts on elk, as CO rifle seasons are short. If you would be just as happy with a bear, as an elk, then go for it.

Hmm - a bear with trichinosis that eats anything it finds no matter how rotten or a delicious elk. To me it would be a no-brainer.

th (1).jpg

If you buy the tag chances are slim you will see one. Having said that if you don't you will see a Mellon head. Personally if I wanted an elk I'd hunt for elk. I guess it's a question you'll ultimately have to decide yourself. The only bears I've seen elk hunting are the silver tipped variety.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rgreen
Back