Yeti GOBOX Collection

Hilleberg nallo tents

mjw176

Hello everyone,
Getting into backpack hunting and My question is what tent will you get me the most value. I have never owned A-tent but after doing research Hilleberg Seems to be highly recommended. I don't mind spending the money for a once in a lifetime tent. I was looking into the Nallo 2 or 3gt. It seems the only difference between the two is 1' in diameter. For the money , Is it worth the extra $40 to gain that 1' and is there much of a noticeable difference in packing the extra material. It would be nice to have in case I would have a 2 person hunt or trip. I want to get the most value for my money especially for that amount but I hate to spend half the amount only to want more later.

Cheap tents will have condensation dripping on you all night. The best 1-2 man for the money I've used is the big agnes copper spur. I have the UL3, partner has the UL2.
The Hilleberg are better but out of my price range.

I'd say 1 person you'd never need anything more that the regular Nallo. 2 people in a regular Nallo when the weather is really bad for a long stretch can be rough, you better like each other. I've never been in a Nallo 3 GT but I bet it is pretty big. My Nallo 2GT takes up a lot of real estate to set up for sure.

Dink's assessment is accurate. As far as what's best for you I'd forget about the $40 difference and just pick what makes sense for your style of hunting and likely terrain. For an all-arounder I'd split the difference and go Nallo 2GT. Hille's all have decent resale but it would probably be easier to get rid of a 2GT than the 3GT or straight 2 if you decide to try something else.

Hilleberg tents and Valandre sleeping bags are some of the only things I use that I'd pay full price for any day, despite being among the most expensive versions of what they are.

We've had our Hilly Billys for going on 11 years now for one of them. It is a huge moral booster when you're getting you arse beat up hunting to know your'e going to be dry and comfy at the end of the day pretty much no matter what happens.

I did spent 2 nights one time when I wasn't 100% toasty comfy(just a little to soggy) but it had a lot to do with where I set the thing up, I think I probably should have kicked the snow off the edges on the 2nd night as well for better ventilation to dry out potentially. But I didn't die so there's that.

Last edited:
I have a Nallo 3GT. If pushed, we can comfortably slept three family members in it. It’s really comfortable for two people. For $40, I’d buy the extra room.

Well, I took the plunge and purchase the Nallo 2gt. Wanted the 3GT but was Offered an additional discount in a to GT2 In the Sand color. Never have been to the West nor hunted back Pack style. So I just wanted to get the best tent for a value. Hillenburg name has always been Highly recommended and I seem to like the GT version. So wasn't sure if there will be much difference from a 2 or 3 series. So what makes these hillenburg tents so highly recommended and does color make any difference. I wanted green but a $100 difference I'll settle with sand color, It seems like it may allow more brightness into the tent. As long as it's not mistaken as a big elk bedded down . Lol
Backpack hunting in the West Seems like a great rewarding and exciting adventure but is so much different then whitetail hunting in the East. Any advice on using these tents

My use advice is too keep the vents at both ends open and the vestibule screen for air ventilation. If you close everything up, you’ll have condensation issues.

I have a Nallo 3GT. If pushed, we can comfortably slept three family members in it. It’s really comfortable for two people. For $40, I’d buy the extra room.

I use the 3GT. Have the atrium to place gear out of weather. Is fantastic when solo and still fine with 2 of us. The weight increase to get the 3GT is not much and about the same cubic inches inside or scraped to outside of pack. Is fast to set up and to take down. Lots of options to keep condensation minimized by changing the window settings. No regrets.

You now have a nicer tent than 99% of backpackers. There aren't much in the way of shortcuts for getting to be an efficient, effective, skilled mountain dweller. Just got to get out there and do it. Read up sure, but it won't stick very well until trial and error shows what works for you. Legit backpack hunting for elk in the mountains is 500 level coursework. Good luck and have fun!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back