Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Stone Glacier Skyscraper 2p

TheNorthStar

Hey fellas, the new tent showed up in the mailbox today so I thought I would give a little write up and my initial impressions. If you have any questions, fire away.

The construction feels strong, both the inner tent and the outer fly. The floor does seem a little thin and I"m glad I also bought the footprint for it, though that won't be here until around the 1st of July. I would compare the inner tent to the old Kerlon 1000 material that hilleburg used to use in the red label and the floor, which has a catenary cut, or tub style might be closer to the 1200. The inner portion can be pitched on its own as the pole system uses what they call a "web truss" suspension common to higher end 4 season tents. They also sell a tub style footprint and a no-see-um mesh bug net that can be combined with or without the fly to create a lighter, early season shelter. The fly, obviously the heaviest component is noticeably thicker creates a large vestibule on both sides. The tent has dual D shaped doors that have a mesh "screen door" on the inside and all doors, including the fly's, have a loop and toggle to keep them pulled open. There are also 4 mesh pockets, 1 large and 1 small on each side and can be cross guy lined internally to help shore up the walls against wind and snow accumulation. It comes with 10 V stakes and 8 guy lines that are secured with clam clips, which I apparently did not take pictures of.

The tent is roomy. Though I think I would appreciate a little more square footage of floor in the width, the volume is huge. I'm 5'7" and as you can see, sitting up, there's a great deal of extra room overhead and about a foot of extra floor space at the foot when I'm in position to lay down. It's hot and humid here in Minnesota today, but I intend to put it through the ringer and sleep in it tonight during the thunderstorm we're forecasted to get. It's considerably bulkier and heavier than the marmot tungsten 1p I've used in the past, but I expect the extra room and comfort to be worth it this year. If it holds together overnight, I can already say that I'll be satisfied with the purchase.

Looks like a good purchase. Can you see yourself sharing it with a hunting buddy of similar build as yourself? Or is it really just a 1 person tent? It seems many manufacturers rate them as a tight fit and a 2P is pretty much a nice 1P and a 3P makes a better 2P tent.

Looks like a good purchase. Can you see yourself sharing it with a hunting buddy of similar build as yourself? Or is it really just a 1 person tent? It seems many manufacturers rate them as a tight fit and a 2P is pretty much a nice 1P and a 3P makes a better 2P tent.

That's been my assessment on tent sizes as well and though I'm rarely happy with the width, I think I could fit another "me" into this one without much trouble. The specs call it 50". Maybe flip one guy so that their shoulders are at knee level with the other fellas knees. It would get a bit cramped with a heavier set guy next to you, let alone 2 of them together.

It poured last night and most of the morning. Stayed dry and condensation free with just the screen doors closed. The only way to vent the fly is pulling the double zipper down from the top a bit and even then you have to sort of prop a small twig in the to open it up any. I'd have also added a small patch of velcro half way up the storm flap on the fly's zipper to add a bit of tension to it if you prop it open. I might add an adhesive piece there, but that'll be me splitting hairs. Quality tent. Can't wait to drag it out West this Fall.

I'll be picking one of these up soon with the tub and mesh insert for summer and early season. If its like their packs this thing should be bullet proof. Talking to the boys this was like a 3 year project before it hit the market.

@TheNorthStar I was curious how you have liked the tent since you purchased it. I bought it and got it in the mail Sat, pitched it and it is smaller inside then I expected. I'm 6'3" and not very skinny and I think I'll need to lay diagonally in it. I was really hoping I could use it as a 2 person when i'm hunting with my brother but I just don't really see that happening, he is my size to. I'm thinking I might need to return it and look for a 3 person tent but if you told me it was the greatest tent you've ever used I might consider it as a one person tent.

@TheNorthStar I was curious how you have liked the tent since you purchased it. I bought it and got it in the mail Sat, pitched it and it is smaller inside then I expected. I'm 6'3" and not very skinny and I think I'll need to lay diagonally in it. I was really hoping I could use it as a 2 person when i'm hunting with my brother but I just don't really see that happening, he is my size to. I'm thinking I might need to return it and look for a 3 person tent but if you told me it was the greatest tent you've ever used I might consider it as a one person tent.
No comment on the SG but maybe take a look at the copper spur 3p, it’s the largest sized tent in the ultralight category I’ve found, used it this year with a buddy. I’m 6ft and slept with my pack at my feet.

No comment on the SG but maybe take a look at the copper spur 3p, it’s the largest sized tent in the ultralight category I’ve found, used it this year with a buddy. I’m 6ft and slept with my pack at my feet.
Checking it out now. Thank you!

I’m 6’3” and the size of a good black bear and even with my dog I have plenty of room in a Copper Spur HV 2 man. Length has always been my problem with ten
Yep the same issue here. I appreciate it. Once the copper Spur 3P is back in stock I will be giving it a try.

If you are going to have more than 1 person in a tent it needs to be a 3 man unless you want to snuggle.

Another interesting option is the new SlingFin Portal: https://www.slingfin.com/collections/treeline-series/products/portal-2
A freestanding tent touted as 4 season at just over 3 lbs is worth taking a look at. I find that for most hunts I don't need a full coverage tent and can get away with some mesh on the tent body even if the snow flies. But it states it is 85" long vs. the SlingFin Crossbow 2 (which is the SG re-branded Skyscraper) with a length of 92".

I almost always bring my own tent on hunts vs. sharing one, so the Portal might be an option and would be long enough (I am 6' 1") and I like the 3 lb. weight.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back