Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Bipod thoughts

junior88

Recently purchased a Rem 700 SPS in 300 win. Waiting for the scope to come in, Vortex Viper HST 6-24x50. Thinking about buying a bipod, or just laying it across my pack. I just don't know if I want the extra weight. It may not seem like much, but as we all know after hiking all day it can really add up. Your experiences can help me make up my mind. Thank you

Recently purchased a Rem 700 SPS in 300 win. Waiting for the scope to come in, Vortex Viper HST 6-24x50. Thinking about buying a bipod, or just laying it across my pack. I just don't know if I want the extra weight. It may not seem like much, but as we all know after hiking all day it can really add up. Your experiences can help me make up my mind. Thank you

Its worth searching this topic on the forum, because I know it has been discussed a couple of times in just the last year. I personally really l like Snipepod (built in Montana and I noticed that Steve Rinella also uses them). They are built like tent legs so they are lightweight and have a fair amount of adjustment. Their system works well for either sitting or in prone, but I find myself sitting a lot more in the field because of brush and trees. Finally, their system can be quickly moved from one rifle to another. The only downside is that their website leaves A LOT to be desired.

https://kramerdesignscorp.com/V2SnipePod.html

I use a Harris bipod and can't imagine not having it. I could care less about weight. I may only get one opportunity and when I get it, I want to be as comfortable and confident as I can be. I'm not talented enough to shoot tight groups at long distances while trying to balance my pack in the elements. I can't think of one time I regretted using a bipod. I guess I've always just thought that losing a few pounds and getting in better shape will offset the heaviness. Just my .02

Personally, I shoot much better with a bipod. I had the tallest version of a Harris with the rocking head for over a decade. Also used a Snipepod for a season, but that one just wasn't for me. I currently shoot a 9-13" bipod with leg adjustment and again a rocking or swivel head. I like shooting prone, and most situations I hunt in allow for it. If I can't go prone, I rest my rifle on a limb or something else. About four years ago I tried an antelope hunt without my bipod thinking I didn't want to pack the weight. I quickly realized that I am a much better shooter with it. For me, that makes the weight penalty totally worth it.

Also, for what it's worth, I have found some of the less expensive bipods on Amazon to be pretty comparable to my Harris. Just watch those reviews to know which ones to avoid.

One problem with a bipod is they tend to change your point of impact if you don't leave it on all the time.

I used to use a Walmart version prone bipod. It worked well but it was clear when I was hunting that I wouldn't get many clear prone shots anyways. It also made the gun more awkward to carry and snake through the brush.

This last year I switched to a system of primos trigger sticks tripod for sitting and my pack for prone. The trigger sticks are actually very good for shooting and double as a really good and fast tripod for my spotting scope. Dedicated tripods are at least as heavy and make poor rifle rests. One issue I had with the trigger sticks is they didn't collapse down very far and would extend past my pack and catch on the brush. Also took time to detach it from my pack.

I actually find it awkward shooting prone off my main pack as it is too big. In fact, my main reason for finally getting rid if my old .300 is the heavier recoil actually led to a considerable change in point of impact when changing from a book bag to my main pack. Some people carry a small day pack in addition to their main pack which I find is the size of pack that works the best.

Now this snipepod I've never heard of but may have me sold. It has a quick detach and works for sitting which is pretty much my requirements for ever going back to a bipod again. What's more is it's very light and has options to use as a spotter tripod. It wouldnt be near as good of a tripod as my trigger sticks. But I only use a compact spotter to verify things I find in my binos anyhow.

I use a shorter Harris, something about 10" when i prone. If I can't go prone, then I will be on my trigger stick tripod. I highly recommend getting a bipod, versatile and steady.

As for it changing you POI, I would suggest that is because it has changed your cheek weld/sight alignment, not the bipod itself.

No bipod for me. Hasn't been a handicap in 30 years or so. Just don't want one on my rifle. mtmuley

I never could get use to a bipod. Just never felt right for me. I use shooting sticks or go prone over the pack. I guess it comes down to personal preference.

I have the stoney point rapid pivot system on my 2 main hunting rifles. I like it because I can snap on whichever bipod/tripod I am using when needed but most of the time nothing is on the rifle for putting in a scabbard or if I just use my pack. They have several different models from prone bipods to tripods for standing.

I have the short bipod which I use for prone shooting most of the time. I keep it in an outside pocket on my pack to I can grab it quickly.

The downside it that it's not as sturdy as the permanently mounted models and you can break the rubber hinge. I have broken one and they replaced it.

I'd certainly check the point of impact with the bipod on and off from a bench rest, not actually using the bipod. In my mind, it must switch the poi some even if it's too small to notice. Adding weight to the end of the stock will change how it recoils. The bullet will still be in the barrel when it recoils. I know I've noticed difference.

In general, I had always suspected that heavier recoiling rifles will change point of impact based on how they are allowed to recoil. As personal evidence mounted, I did research which confirmed my suspicions.

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/shooting-tips/shooting_tips_accuracy_1001/

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/Hold+that+Forend.html

I have had a Harris 13-27 on my rifle which is really nice to have but I scrapped it once I bought a MR metcalf pack. Seeing how Randy uses the yoke on his metcalf I took it off and just use my pack as a rest for shooting, haven't had any troubles with that system yet.

Thanks for the replies. You've all brought up valid points. A lot to think about. I appreciate your time.

I have a bipod on my wifes Savage 110FP, but it is her range gun. It's a knock off of an Atlas bipod. $60 instead of the $200 for an Atlas.
I also have a tall bipod on my Savage 111 in 7mm Rem Mag. I practice from a sitting position often.

Last years doe i used an improvised bench. I set up the portable seat, threw my backpack on it and sat on the ground for a good hit at 413 yards.

Often times i'll use a tree, or fence post to steady my rifle whille hunting.
If i'm not steady i won't take the shot.

I kinda faced the same quandary a couple of years ago. 'My' solution was to get a set of adjustable Bi-Pod Sticks. In use them extended as a hiking stick 99% of the time, if it's a bit longer range I can get into a sitting position, then they become a steady rest, if it's too far for a sitting rest, then I'll do prone & the back pack thing.

Having the bi-pod attached to the rifle seemed like it limited my options and certainly added extra weight to carrying, while having a limited utility.

Just my $0.02.

To me a bipod is a must if you are going to have a spotting scope. Not worth getting a better look when you really cant when the scope is moving all around

As I so often do, I stole advice from someone else's question. My snipepod just arrived with a sling swivel attachment for both my high powered rifles. Looks good. If I keep liking it I'll get the tripod leg and have a device for prone shooting, sitting shootng, and spotting scope all for like 10 oz.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back