A rant on weapon-based seasons, with a proposal.

Are there any western states that allow unrestricted use of a cross bow during an open archery season? I'd be curious to cross reference harvest statistics with other states, or even within units, that do not allow the use of crossbows.

Wyoming....but it seems elk hunting is gaining popularity...1 would think with ease of harvest with a crossbow all the elk would be gone....not to mention Wolves AND Grizzlies

Wyoming....but it seems elk hunting is gaining popularity...1 would think with ease of harvest with a crossbow all the elk would be gone....not to mention Wolves AND Grizzlies
Wyoming use to have more over the counter tags. Now they limiting harvest through tag allocation(draw). How many units have non resident otc archery tags? 0. Now we have to deal with point creep for archery tags?

Just like every other western State. Over harvest also affects quality that will be harder to put on a spreadsheet.

Idaho typically had debatably the most generous resident and non resident otc archery tag numbers in the majority of it's units. They have been moving a few here or there to controlled hunts and most notably putting quotas on resident tags in certain units.
https://magicvalley.com/lifestyles/...cle_5d9b4598-5d93-55e4-bdf4-2637ac64b307.html
Statewide, Sawtooth A tags at agency offices and vendors sold out in about 10 minutes and B tags in 13 minutes, Fish and Game said Wednesday afternoon. Online, tags sold out in about 15 minutes.
They are doing this to limit harvest.
Everything we do to increase success WILL come back around in limiting the days hunters are in the field.

I don't see any problem with the season structure the way it is. As long as you are in the field having fun I don't give a damn what you are hunting with. Don't break any laws and be safe and you are good to go. If I'm in the field hunting and having fun, following the law and no one is getting hurt please show me the same respect.

Man, folks sure get offended these days and feel the need to be included.......crossbows? I've got absolutely nothing against them, as I feel they are a viable and fun weapon system to hunt with and there is definitely a place for them. However, they are NOT archery and don't belong in the archery season unless it's for medical purposes only. If you choose to hunt with one, I think that's awesome.......just don't demand they should be in the archery season.

Disclosure: I have a medical permit to hunt w xbow in CO. It is heavy, awkward to carry, and slow to recock. I would much prefer to hunt w a recurve, but I can no longer draw one, nor a compound. I was SOL during archery season until I went through the permitting process w my Dr. I disliked the notion of xbow hunters during archery, now I am one.

To the OP's point, we may have come far enough w hunting technology (if not we will very shortly) to reconsider the place of "primitive weapons."

Back