Barnes all around 06 round

I've never understood why folks choose to shoot Barnes bullets and then choose the heavy bullets. The benefits of the Barnes is to drop down in weight. I would shoot the 130 grain in the Barnes.

Barnes recommends light for caliber bullets because they retain over 90% of their weight.

Thanks all. I was leaning towards something around the 165/168 range. I find it hard to drop to the 130/150 when I think of bigger game. When I was hunting with the 06 it was generally recommended 150 for antelope, 165 for deer, and 180 for elk. With what I've been reading in the forum I thought the 165/168 Barnes would be just the ticket for an all around.

Why do you find it hard to drop down in weight? Think of it like this. A regular bullet(one with a lead core) will retain approximately 60% of its total weight. Barnes bullets will retain over 90% of its total weight. You'd have to shoot an awful heavy lead core bullet to equal the Barnes retained weight. The only thing limiting the Barnes is speed for expansion. If you're gonna shoot long distance, you need to look at what your velocity will be at your given range and see if it falls into Barnes' recommend velocity.

The OP stated 300 yards and under. He will be just fine with a 168TTSX if they shoot acceptable for him. If not the 150TTSX or 165TSX would work also.

I think the OP is like a lot of hunters that think "180 grain out of a 30 cal" for Elk, etc. As stated in several previous posts, the Barnes are designed to shoot a light for caliber bullet for optimum performance. I believe the formula is something like a 10% reduction in bullet weight for the Barnes, so a 180 grain cup and core bullet minus 10% (18 grains) would leave you with 162 grains (or a 165 or 168 Barnes). They retain close to 100% of their weight (in some cases, the only lost weight is the plastic tip).

I have found an accurate load for the 06 using Barnes 168 gn tsx and RL 17 powder. Performance on game so far had been good, one antelope at 250 and deer at 40. Both pass-through, both devastating to vitals.I have used them for elk in 300 wsm with great results.

The 150 and 168 are both good choices. The drawback to the 130 is it has awful ballistics. It is very fast, but will also shed velocity quickly. 180 is getting pretty long and will chew up some case capacity.

Personally, for a 300 yard gun I’d choose the 165 and load them up without thinking twice about it.

The 150 and 168 are both good choices. The drawback to the 130 is it has awful ballistics. It is very fast, but will also shed velocity quickly. 180 is getting pretty long and will chew up some case capacity.

Personally, for a 300 yard gun I’d choose the 165 and load them up without thinking twice about it.

Did y'all ever get to try out the 130 grain TSX on elk? I saw were you said that it worked flawlessly on deer.

I smacked a whitetail with a .243 and 80 grain Hammer last Fall. Sample of one, but impressed. mtmuley

Been using a 100 gr. Nosler Partition out of my .243 for both whitetails and mule deer for years. I have been using Barnes TTSX in my 30-06 and was thinking of trying to develop a load for that 80 gr. TTSX for my .243. I don't know, maybe I'll just do it for fun. I've shot a bunch of deer with that .243 using Partitions. Nice, tight groups and it seems to put deer down pretty quickly.

I load 168 ttsx in front of ramshot hunter for my dad's 06 and 165 ttsx in front of 4831 for my 300 am. The 168 is a little longer with a better bc so if that will fit you magazine set correctly to the lands I would start there. The 06 shoots cloverleafs with that combo.
Barnes says the 168 is meant for guns with plenty of magazine like our 06 and the 165 is shorter and meant for guns like my tikka 300 wm.
With Barnes I pay more attention to length than weight, for 30 cal is generally build with a twist for a traditional 180 grain bullet so try to stay about that same length in a barnes.
It seems to work, I load barnes in my 243 as well and all three guns shoot 3/4 moa or under with minimal load development.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back